No announcement yet.

Rendering interiors with VRay Sun & Sky & Physical Cam in conjunction with LWF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rendering interiors with VRay Sun & Sky & Physical Cam in conjunction with LWF

Hi guys,

I have a little bit of time at work now to play about with some new workflows to try and improve my next project.
    My hope is to start using the VRay Sun & Sky & Physical Cam in conjunction with LWF.
    My work is 100% interiors. In the few tests I have put together following Lele's tutorials (which were for exterior projects I believe) All I seem to be able to acheive is that the outside is perfectly exposed but the interior is VERY dark.
    As far as I understand it, in the real world this would be correct if I was taking pictures out of a window when stood inside the building, but obviously I need to be taking pictures INSIDE the building which SHOULD mean that the outside it overblown and the inside is nicely exposed.
    I have linked here to a very simple small room with a window and the sun/sky and cam setup inside that I have made. Realistically with the sun shining into this room the whole space should be illuminated without need of additional interior lighting.
    Please note that the single material which I have used in the scene has been created inline with Lele's vraycolor setting of .255 - If I remove this then the scene becomes instantly overblown.

http://www.rendertech.co.uk/test2.zip

Thanks for taking the time to look through this and I look forward to hopefully hearing your comments.
    Last edited by Blitterswitch; 04-12-2007, 04:19 AM.

Seems to be set up OK to me...

For an interior try changing the camera settings to F4, 1/30th shutter speed and ISO 100 (I always try to stick to camera settings that I would use on a real camera)
    www.peterguthrie.net
    www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
    www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

Hi there,

Thanks for your input, I have setup the scene with those settings and it looks pretty nice, much brighter than before. Althought the sun hitting the floor now is completely overblown with float values of 8.1

I am a little confused by the angle of the sun and its effect on the illumination intensity and colouring of the scene.

Are there any unified tutorials available to describe setting up interiors when using the advanced vray sun/sky/cam? I feel like I am running blind at the moment.
      Last edited by Blitterswitch; 04-12-2007, 05:39 AM.

Comment

In those tutorials it is mentioned that the .255 will not always work.
        There was also a part about dividing the float value you sampled with the ISO...
        I also thought that .255 was more for exteriors? And it was also for an older version, too, which had a brighter sun or sky? As peterguthrie said, adjust your phys cam, too.
        For interiors I somethimes would adjust the camera so the sky looked how I wanted, then adjust the material multipliers to look good.

Comment

Hi

we are doing a little bit of R&D with vray sun/sky, lwf v's the old non lwf, vray lights on the windows etc..

getting some great results (especially in the reflections) , but again I think it depends on the project, (well lwf doesnt) in that we are still happy with the 'old' methods where we dont have large windows, evening/night scenes etc. We use Lwf and sun sky on all our exterior scenes now..

I will post some tests we have done, both exterior and interior. The main problem you get with using the vray sun/sky/cam setup is the same as photographers have had for a longtime, sun blowing out parts of the image if you want an even lit visual.. for stills we get around this with using 2 different exposures, and for animation using seperate passes (raw light etc) and additonal correction with reinhard colour mapping... dont know if we are doinging it right, but the end results are lookign good and thats what counts I suppose. Being a small company, we need set ups that work predictably and that can be rolled out on quick 1-2 day job turnarounds...

g.
          Last edited by t3dm; 05-12-2007, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Looking out for those promised test images...

Comment

I'll get some posted soon.. on a busy schedule at the moment sorry!

Comment

Working...
              X