Backburner / batch /gamma problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think im experiancing the same problem here,

I have 2 machines, 1 which ive set my gamma to lwf. so gamma set to 2.2 affect material editor and affect color swatch. and input gamma set to 2.2 on bitmaps.

now the other machine is a fresh standard install of max.

im using linear color mode, with the gamma set to 2.2, so that it burns the gamma into the image. so really it shouldnt matter on how the image is saved as long as it comes out as default image gamma as not to double expose the image.

now what seems to happen is that the image isnt saved as it looks like in the vray frame buffer, and looks like an image with gamma of 1.8.

Its strange that it happens sometimes and not other times.

IS having load gamma state with scene file enable a work around or is that ignored when network rendering.

Comment

Load gamma state only needs to be enabled when you are moving between files with different gamma settings. If you don't have it on, Max will set the file to the gamma settings of the previous file you worked on.

When I first switched to LWF a couple years ago, I had to have it enable to go between slightly older files. Now that all recent work is LWF its not necessary.

It should not affect gamma settings on node renderings, but I don't burn my gamma in. I save everything as 32-bit EXR (well, all still images anyway).
      "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

so what are you saving out when doing animations, do you still come out to 32bit float, i find file sizes get alittle out of control.

Comment

I have used uncompressedTGA files for animations in the past with override of 2.2 to burn in the gamma, but EXR's with Zip (16 scanline block) lossless compression, are only slightly larger than an uncompressed TGA file.
          "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Working...
          X