Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DR Problem - maps won't show

Greetings

We have bought a small render farm and so we changed our internal 1Gbit network from workgroup to domain. All machines had their fresh windows instalation, and we can render normally through backburner with no problems at all.

Distribute Render, though, doesn't work as intended. Both with normal DR and BB DR, the maps and Vraymeshes won't show up in the DR slaves.

With normal DR only the host shows the textures and VrayMeshes, and all the slave buckets don't seem to find them (no error feedback though).

With BB DR only the first one that picks the job shows the textures and VrayMesh, regardless of the machine, and all others don't. As a test we shutdown the machine that picked the job correctly, and immediatly another machine picked up the job, and it rendered correctly, the remaining machines continued to fail to render the textures and vraymeshes though.

We think it could be a problem with Vray or its configuration, because in a normal BB render all the machines work fine.

All our rendernodes have administrator privileges and all paths are UNC.

Our configuration:

Server: Windows Server 2003 x64 SP1 (Vray Server with dongle and BackBurner Manager), 3DS Max 2008 x64
    Dell PowerEdge 2900, Dual Quad Xeon 1.6GHz, 4 Gb RAM;

6x Render Nodes: Windows XP x64 SP2, 3DS Max 2008 x64
    Dell PowerEdge 1950, Dual Quad Xeon 3.0GHz, 8 Gb RAM;

2x Workstation: Windows XP x64 SP2, 3DS Max 2008 x64
    Dell Precision 690, Dual Quad Xeon 3.0GHz, 8 Gb RAM, Quadro FX 4600;

Thanks in advance for any tips/solutions.
    Last edited by idesign; 09-01-2008, 08:13 AM.
    Nicolau Pais www.id3d.pt

My current hardware setup: HP Z820 32-Core Dual E5-2670 128GB RAM - NVIDIA® Quadro K5000

bump.. bump..
    Nicolau Pais www.id3d.pt

My current hardware setup: HP Z820 32-Core Dual E5-2670 128GB RAM - NVIDIA® Quadro K5000

Comment

sounds like a permissions or mounting issue

Are you running the server as a service?
      Eric Boer
      Dev

Comment

Yes, vrayserver is running as service.. and vrayspawner in rendernodes also.. BB server no (we like to resolve this problem first..)
        Nicolau Pais www.id3d.pt

Comment

It sounds like a permissions issue then; what user is the service configured to use?

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I confirm in the mornig, but i think is with Domain Adminsitrator / Machine Administrator..
            In BB normal job render, every machine the render is ok with textures and vraymeshe's..

Best regards,

Nicolau Pais
            Nicolau Pais www.id3d.pt

Comment

Hi again..

Was local... i stop the service put the service with Domain Adminsitrator / Machine Administrator user, start the service and the problem presist...
              Nicolau Pais www.id3d.pt

Comment

Not sure what is the problem then - V-Ray does not do anything differently for normal/backburner rendering than it does for DR... so other than copying the maps/vrmeshes locally, I'm not sure what else to do.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the input Vlado.

Copying all maps and meshes to each machine is impratical, as we are always working/changing/editing them, so that would add a potential problem causer.

We'd appreciate if you could give or link us to a guide with all the steps for preparing a machine for DR, maybe we just missed something.

Best regards
                  Nicolau Pais www.id3d.pt

Comment

Nicolau,
                    Have you tried forgetting about running the spawner as a service, and running it locally instead? We use a program called tweakxp (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=6) to enable automatic login, and just copy the shortcut to start the spawner and BB server into the startup folder.

We set the autologin to login as domain admin.

We also set up all the render nodes to have a static IP address. We use a win2k3 server maching for the BB manager and vrlserver with the dongle.
                    Derik Bibb
                    Architectural Visualizer

TANGRAM 3DS
                    International 3D & Design Solutions

Comment

Thx Derik.. we try in the morning..
                      Last edited by idesign; 14-01-2008, 04:55 PM.
                      Nicolau Pais www.id3d.pt

Comment

Problem solved..

Thx to everyone.. was a mix of problems.. permissions, firewall on in one machine.. and our newbie in Windows Server..

Special thx to Derik.. your post open our eyes... (we don't try twekxp for now.. next step after this problem..)
                        Nicolau Pais www.id3d.pt

Comment

Working...
                        X