LC animation issues,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LC animation issues,

I am trying to setup an animation of the exterior scene (camera pans from left to right and the doors of the building open), It is just a 120 frame animation at the moment, I have set both engines to LC and have the LC set to 2000, flythrough mode, scale: screen.

When doing it this way I have noticed that the illuminated areas look terrible (see image)

Any ideas what I am doing wrong,

Thanks,
    Tom
    Last edited by tom182; 14-03-2008, 01:27 PM. Reason: see below :)
    Accept that some days you are the pigeon, and some days you are the statue.

LC

It looks like it need more samples. Can you up the subdivisions on those lights?
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

I think you need to change the filter from 'nearest' to 'fixed' when you use LC for your primary GI.

Another way would be to disable 'store direct light' in your lightcache. It will make you render times longer though.

Dan
      Last edited by DanielBrew; 14-03-2008, 10:11 AM.
      Dan Brew

Comment

Are you using a vray edge tex in your bump to get a filleting effect? It does that exact effect if your normals are facing the wrong way with that setup.

Your 'looks like crap' red marker reminds me of a client I had once when I was first starting out... haha.

Comment

cheers guys,
          changing it to 'fixed' did the trick

thanks
          T
          Last edited by tom182; 14-03-2008, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Actually now that I have tried a few test renders another prob has reared its ugly head, I am animating the Sun position over the 100frames so I get a daytime to night animation, the interior and garden lights are timed to come on at frames 40-60.
            I am doing a precalc for the LC @ frame 50 , (set to fly through) the resulting render for that frame is fine, however when I go to the first frame and do a render with primary as IR, Sec'rd as LC from file it is way too dark, subsequently if I change the LC to single frame it is correct. Hence I cannot get the precalc lc to work as it just gives me dark renders,
            So I am looking at doing this (LC) per frame which will take for aaagggeessss
            any ideas

Comment

In the past I've tried using LC/LC for animations and ran into too many issues of flickering. I just can't recommend that mode for it.
              LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
              HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
              Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

here is a sample test mov, cam is not moving but I am getting a flickering on the roof tiles of the cream house, http://www.coastal-cottage.com/rende...st%20soren.mov
                After this appeared I rendered out an IR map using multiframe incremental, Nth was set at 10 and I got a 20mb irmap, I left the LC as single frame (because of the porblem in my previous post), then tried that and the quality was pi$$ poor.
                As I have a few days left to sort this I then tried the IRmap and LC as single frame, did a region render on a few frames and its still flickering in this localised area
                Have my setting here http://www.coastal-cottage.com/renders/settings.jpg
                My gut feeling is that there is a simle solution to this, would greatly appreciate any info/help as I think the animation will look nice one I sort that out. Havent really tried animation with Vray before, cant say i am enjoying at the moment.
                I am not even going to attemp DR with this,

Cheers,
                Tom

Comment

i would suggest some settings for your anim :
                  at least, it will gain time

adaptive Rqmc : i would suggest 2-4 or 2-6 if you need extra fine AA with noise thr between 0.005 and 0.1.

rqmc sampler :
                  noise thr = 0 ??? strange setting. i think 0.005 can be a good value (it will speedup things)

Irrmap :
                  medium-anim slows down things and gives some artifacts, except with ultra strong settings.
                  I would suggest medium, or even low, works very well...

multiframe incremental is not the good choice when other things than camera are changing. Multiframe increm (or incremental add to current map) are suitable only for walkthrough mode.
                  if lighting is changing, you need to use single frame mode (for LC, too) or animation prepass if you use Vray 1.5 or greater (sp1)

LC :
                  i would suggest to reduce a little LC subdivs (i.e 600-800 for a 800*600 output) to gain time
                  and use something like 24 in prefilter (and, optinnaly, none for filter)

i hope this settings will help to get a clean render in less time.
                  Jérôme Prévost.
                  SolidRocks, the V-Ray Wizard.
                  http://solidrocks.subburb.com

Comment

Originally posted by tom182 View Post
                    Actually now that I have tried a few test renders another prob has reared its ugly head, I am animating the Sun position over the 100frames so I get a daytime to night animation, the interior and garden lights are timed to come on at frames 40-60.
                    I am doing a precalc for the LC @ frame 50 , (set to fly through) the resulting render for that frame is fine, however when I go to the first frame and do a render with primary as IR, Sec'rd as LC from file it is way too dark, subsequently if I change the LC to single frame it is correct. Hence I cannot get the precalc lc to work as it just gives me dark renders,
                    So I am looking at doing this (LC) per frame which will take for aaagggeessss
                    any ideas
                    If your camera isn't moving then fly through mode wont work! for any moving entities including lights you must calc ever frame!
                    Answer, give it to a render farm to do it for you .. the cheek of the lad..
                    Natty
                    http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

hehe, it all else fails well maybe,
                      Original problem of crappy looking lights Solved Cheers, Dan
                      2nd problem of dark renders solved- due to me using LC as 'fly though' when I had animated lights, LC is now set to single- cheers Subburb

Remaining problem Flickering animation - pretty much localised to the one area of the scene, i.e. where the two roofs meet each other, I will upload a stripped down version if anyone is willing to take a look and help me out,

I am currently rendering out with Subburb's suggestions - fingers crossed.

Thanks,
                      Tom
                      Last edited by tom182; 16-03-2008, 08:03 AM.

Comment

me too
                        waiting for you results now...
                        Jérôme Prévost.

Comment

Flickering issues

ok folks, still having issues with the flickering where the two roofs meet, the stripped down file can be grabbed from http://www.coastal-cottage.com/max%20files
                          Camera position is animated (nothing drastic- modest movement), Lights and sun are also animated.

any help would be much appreciated,
                          Thanks
                          Tom
                          Last edited by tom182; 16-03-2008, 05:11 PM.

Comment

i'll have a look to your scene.
                            can you tell us which vray version u use ?
                            Jérôme Prévost.

Comment

cheers,
                              I'm still on 1.5 RC3,

thanks,

Comment

Working...
                              X