DR Machines locking mid render? SP2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Vlado,

We still seem to have a sporadic problem with DR locking some machines, which is still causing a problem, this problem will not happen every render and not on the same slaves, seems to be totaly random, when this happens, if we restart the locked machine / machines so they reboot (still in mid render) these machines will then render the locked buckets.

Its odd because this problem was not in sp1 or before, can you not port the code back to those builds or is a Licensing problem?
    Natty
    http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

I have just resolved the current scene by merging it into a new scene and reapplying the render settings. Seems to have worked for this time.

When the render finishes & I have a minute i'll zip up the before and after and email them to you (Vlado) hopefully it might help you work out whats going on.
      Greg

Comment

Originally posted by natty View Post
        Can you not port the code back to those builds
        This is precisely what I did; the DR code was 1:1 what was for SP1 for the build that I sent you.

or is a Licensing problem?
        Nope, if V-Ray cannot obtain a license it will not render at all; it will not look for the license again until the render is finished.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Any forth coming patch for Sp2?
          "It's the rebels sir....They're here..."

Comment

Once we are sure the issue is resolved, yes.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

I can confirm that with Sp2 we are have DR machines dropping the render, or not even starting it. The log says "Scene loaded: starting render." There are no errors, but the buckets never kick in. It doesn't seem to be any particular scene, it's happened in all the files we've worked in.
              Logging into the server and shutting down the 3dsmax.exe process allows it to restart, the scene is then resent to the node, and it picks up the render again. DR with Sp1 was rock solid, we rarely if ever had to restart the spawner on the render nodes.
              Hope this helps the diagnosis..
              Derik Bibb
              Architectural Visualizer

TANGRAM 3DS
              International 3D & Design Solutions

Comment

Next time this happens, can you take the V-Ray log file from the locked machine and send it to me at vlado@chaosgroup.com? It will be very helpful.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

We are also having major problems with Max2009 and SP2 on 64bit machines (workstation and render nodes).

Each of the render nodes is displaying 'vray_server_scene_1.max' on the task bar.

This is pretty catastrophic for us, and we don't know if the issue is with Max2009 or sp2.

EDIT: part way through a DR where none of the nodes were kicking in, I re-started vrayspawner on one of the machines. It initially loaded the 'vraydummy2009.max' but then changed to the 'vray_server_scene_1.max' at which point the buckets from that node started working on the DR scene.

EDIT2: yes - just done the same to another node and once re-started (mid DR render) it kicks in.

EDIT3: if using lc/irmap, the nodes that aren't working seem to be rendering their buckets with old data - i.e. when certain geometry was unhidden at the first render. If I use lc/brute force, the nodes that aren't working just don't do anything.

(I hope this info is helping?)

Scrap EDIT3 - it doesn't make any difference using Irmap of Brute Force
                  Last edited by tricky; 03-06-2008, 05:53 AM.
                  Kind Regards,
                  Richard Birket
                  ----------------------------------->
                  http://www.blinkimage.com

Comment

Vlado - any chance I can have a copy of SP1 for Max2009 64bit? I need to see if that works as we are having major problems with this. We have just upgraded all our nodes and workstations to Max2009 with SP2 and really don't fancy reverting to Max9 32bit.
                    Kind Regards,
                    Richard Birket

Comment

Possible fix:

I just renamed the two files associated with the max2009 steering wheel rubbish on the workstation and the rendernodes and DR now seems to be ok: well, on the 3 test frames I have done so far anyway.
                      Kind Regards,
                      Richard Birket

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
                        Each of the render nodes is displaying 'vray_server_scene_1.max' on the task bar.
                        I am also getting this, although now i'm up to 'vray_server_7.max'.

I am also finding that if I merge into a new default scene, re-select vray as renderer and only change the setting I absolutely have to, it works more consistantly. Not perfect, but better than before. Still sucks but sucks slightly less.
                        Greg

Comment

Have you renamed the two steering wheel files? Solved it for me!!!!!!!!! Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

go into stdplugs folder and rename 'AutoCamMax.gup' and 'AutoCamResENU.dll' to 'AutoCamMax.gup.bak' and 'AutoCamResENU.dll.bak' respectivly.
                          Kind Regards,
                          Richard Birket

Comment

There is a hotfix for the viewcube/backburner issue:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...linkID=9241178

I have the autocamgup thingy renamed to bak anyway as the perspective view bug drives me crazy and still isn't fixed.

Maybe someone could try the hotfix and see if it helps?

Peter

PS. You would think that Autodesk could email people on the subscription program and inform them that a hotfix is available..
                            www.peterguthrie.net
                            www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
                            www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

Lol we just did that this morning and it resolved it for us too. (renaming the steering wheel files)
                              Fixed our problem of not being able to DR at all, or render on the farm.
                              Last edited by Dman3d; 03-06-2008, 07:43 AM.
                              "It's the rebels sir....They're here..."

Comment

Autodesk are a bunch of XXXXxxxx XXXxxx!

EDIT: I mean XXXXxxx XXXXxxx!
                                Last edited by tricky; 03-06-2008, 09:32 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
                                Kind Regards,
                                Richard Birket

Comment

Working...
                                X