Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ExtraTex and MtlSelect Passes

ExtraTex renders the texture onto matte objects

MtlSelect doesn't use material in slot when render settings are merged even if a material with the same name exists in the scene.

Best regards,
    --Jon
    Jon Reynolds
    Method Studios

Matte Pass

I am not sure I understand your post, but have you tried this script?

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/rendermask
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Thanks Bobby , always good to keep up on the latest free scripts and I did not know of this one I'm referring to two VRay Render Elements that are not acting ideally.

When using the "ExtraTex" element I am getting an output of the extra texmap I've defined applied to all objects including matte objects that I would like to be rendered a RGBA =0,0,0,0

The "MtlSelect" is used to define a shader to apply to a pass. In my case I'm using it to extract a certain level of a shader tree so it can be controlled in comping. When I use render presets which brings in my render elements setup the shader that is referenced in that element is not present... or something???? and renders black unless I reconnect it each time.

Hope that explains what my problem is better

Best regards,
      --Jon
      Jon Reynolds
      Method Studios

Comment

Originally posted by jreynolds View Post
        ExtraTex renders the texture onto matte objects
        Hm, is this bad Maybe someone would need this... otherwise I can probably add an option to skip matte objects when calculating the texture.

MtlSelect doesn't use material in slot when render settings are merged even if a material with the same name exists in the scene.
        Nothing much to do about this, I am afraid. When merging the render settings, 3ds Max simply creates a new material for the MtlSelect - it does not look in your current scene to find a material with the same name.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          Hm, is this bad Maybe someone would need this... otherwise I can probably add an option to skip matte objects when calculating the texture.
          You know I guess it really isn't that big of a deal now that you point it out. I was just doing some QA and expected it to be consistent with other passes but now I notice that the matte objects are considered in the alpha so come to think of it...

It will all work out in the comp

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          Nothing much to do about this, I am afraid. When merging the render settings, 3ds Max simply creates a new material for the MtlSelect - it does not look in your current scene to find a material with the same name.
          Yeah I kinda figured this was the case. We should be able to custom fit a workaround into our pipeline.

Thanks for your time
          --Jon
          Jon Reynolds
          Method Studios

Comment

Originally posted by jreynolds
            Originally posted by Vlado
            Yeah I kinda figured this was the case. We should be able to custom fit a workaround into our pipeline.
            Should be easy enough provided the material has a correspondent, and unique, material name in the scene...
            Lele
            Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
            ----------------------
            emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

So I've added an option "Affect matte objects" to the VRayExtraTex element now...

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
              X