Tiny-little-testscene-beast - fail to render properly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peterguthrie View Post
    just noticed the system units of your file were in inches, and the display units in cm..
    Yes, that´s true - and shouldn´t it be like this? Display-units is a simple translation of values - you say 10 cm, the system makes 3,937 inches. Modelling in mm as system units do lead to problems when extending Max´s possibilities. With system units in mm I´m not able to make a scene of 2 KM diameter... or isn´t this the case on Max64 bit any more?

think that lead to the DE settings I had not really doing anything.
    Ouf, I do not understand this sentence (and I don´t konw what DE is)...

Comment

here you go. Its still not perfect but not bad for 2mins maybe?
      Two minutes is a dream!

Comment

By DE i mean detail enhancement, i normally set it at about 500mm (presumably through testing although it was so long ago i dont remember )

re: units youre right on all counts, but i meant it was screwing up my 'standard' settings that i tried on it.
        www.peterguthrie.net
        www.peterguthrie.net/blog/
        www.pg-skies.net/

Comment

units youre right on all counts, but i meant it was screwing up my 'standard' settings that i tried on it.
          Okay, you have a fast machine.

Here is your setup rendered on my machine, camera corrected:

And here I brought it back to inches:

This has not too much impact on the render - I hoped that, phu!

I´ll examine the settings, especially the material and the color mapping. Seems that this does the biggest advantages.

Thank you very much.

Sascha

Comment

Some more examinations

Okay, here again Peters Version:

...in comparison to a version with IRRMAP Preset Very High...

(forgot to use the color-curves, therefore it´s a bit darker).

As you can see heavy impact on rendertime, but no impact on the result. So the IRRMAP is not the important thing, it´s definitely the LightCache.

Here a version with a slightly pimped LC (0,005 instead of 0,01):

The result is better, more detailed with few more rendertime.

Now: Do I know about LWF? Use color mapping with gamma 2.2, bring down every material color and texture down to 0,4545 gamma, that´s it? And it´s necessary to use HSV-Exponential or Reinhardt for color-mapping? Did I get this right? And the LWF-check in SP3 will do th material-correction automatically?

So I´m on a good way to understand things better. Thank you all for your suggestions...

Sascha

Comment

this should help with lwf

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...ight=autogamma

The script simplifies the process for LWF until we can get our hands on SP3 which will have a LWF button.

I explain the workflow on the 3rd page of the thread

Comment

I adjusted Peter's scene a little (sacha's link at the top had different windows ?)...
                -turned off DE
                -adjusted the Imap a little
                -lowered the LC to 1000 and turned off "store direct light" (this was giving you some odd highlights at the window sills).

I think I left everything else the same. Rendertimes are from a C2Q 9550.
                Attached Files
                www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Originally posted by dlparisi View Post
                  I adjusted Peter's scene a little (sacha's link at the top had different windows ?)...
                  -turned off DE
                  -adjusted the Imap a little
                  -lowered the LC to 1000 and turned off "store direct light" (this was giving you some odd highlights at the window sills).
                  Woah, looks very clean! I´ll check it out right now!

Yeeeh, the windows aren´t different, but the camera. The VRayPhysicalCamera behaves very different in different world-units...

"turned off 'store direct light' " - ouf, seems that this has also heavy impact - I never dared to play with this because I do not know what it does .

Here is my last try:

This is what I call perfect - high rendertime, but perfect...

What I found out is switching the LightCache from 8 passes to 2 passes saves a lot of memory - this way I was able to use much higher settings on the LC without crashing Max.

Now I´ll check your settings, dlparisi...

...back in some minutes...

Comment

Originally posted by Sascha Selent View Post
                    Yeeeh, the windows aren´t different, but the camera. The VRayPhysicalCamera behaves very different in different world-units...
                    I needed the Clone.dlm plugin which Peter was not using... Looks the same now.
                    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

I needed the Clone.dlm plugin which Peter was not using... Looks the same now.
                      Ooops, yep...

Comment

I adjusted Peter's scene a little
                        ...and I adjusted it a little more...

Here dlparisis settings:

Veeery good and even on my machine very good rendertime.

And here I pimped the LC a little:

Again perfect with very good rendertime...

That´s f****** amazing...

dlparisi: Thank you very much, the "store direct light"-option was a very good hint!

So I´m happy, if someone can optimize this even more - I´ll go completely mad!

Sascha

Comment

Working...
                        X