"Global" Architectural compatability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Global" Architectural compatability

Not necessarily an issue, but I thought SP3 was more-or-less compatible with Architectural materials, but I am still getting a warning message. Only real reason I mention this is that in the past (SP2), these materials can cause major slowdowns with LC calculation and must first be converted to Vraymaterials.

This is all reasonably easy to do unless you are working woth a scene in which there are 40-50 XRef scenes and one of them, somewhere, has an architectural material applied by accident. Like finding a needle in a haystack!
    Kind Regards,
    Richard Birket
    ----------------------------------->
    http://www.blinkimage.com

Well, there is a difference between Architectural and the Arch&Design materials; they are different things. I thought Autodesk is going towards Arch&Design these days, with the regular Architectural materials becoming obsolete.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I see. Aren't they just a pain???
      The reason we have these materials is we model in Autodesk Architecture and file link into Max2009. Unless you manually change the geometry, they all have Architectural materials applied by default.
      Kind Regards,
      Richard Birket

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
        Well, there is a difference between Architectural and the Arch&Design materials; they are different things. I thought Autodesk is going towards Arch&Design these days, with the regular Architectural materials becoming obsolete.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        ...and what about Pro materials?
        Alessandro

Comment

the architectural material is the lightscape material version for max. its intend is to be used with the radiosity engine.
          Arch&Design mats are mental ray based and used in autocad, revit, max and probably where ever adesk puts mr in (maya?, xsi?).

how is the speed of Arch&Design mats compared to vraymats?

-oconv

Comment

ProMaterials

Originally posted by zeronove View Post
            ...and what about Pro materials?
            Good question, I'm going to update to SP3 - if pro materials does not render without errors...we'll have a long battle ahead, as it is clear Autodesk would love for us to abandon our current rendering with Vray and begin using their preferred "we're in bed with M.R." method.. Let me know what issues exist with ProMaterials?

Comment

Just put a vray mat on your imported autocad splines..
              Natty
              http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

ProMaterials

Revit Models use Promaterials...Models which are coming from BIM Applications will become mainstay as the handoff to Visualization Professions will become increasing linear. If we have to work backwards to remap all materials this PRESENTS a Major Challenge! When I convert these Promaterials to Vray Materials the appear black in the rendered image - Please help.

Comment

Originally posted by tricky View Post
                  I see. Aren't they just a pain???
                  The reason we have these materials is we model in Autodesk Architecture and file link into Max2009. Unless you manually change the geometry, they all have Architectural materials applied by default.
                  We had the same problem, we solved it by using these setting now the model is getting linked with its layer colours..
                  Attached Files

Comment

Vlado: When Vray announces the warning of an Architectural material being somewhere in scene when it is on an XREF, is there any way it could say exactly which XREF Scene the Architectural material is on? That way I can open that scene and correct it.
                    Kind Regards,
                    Richard Birket

Comment

Tricky, you're using 40-50xrefs!?! Wow. So I wrote you a quick script to go through and tell you what objects in the xrefs are assigned Architectural materials.

Code:
                      (
                          -- Written by Colin Senner 2009
                          -- www.colinsenner.com

-- Change the below "Architectural" to whatever type of material you're trying to find
                          local typeOfMatToFind = Architectural

local xrefCount = xrefs.getXRefFileCount()
                          local xrefScenes = for i = 1 to xrefCount collect xrefs.getXRefFile i

clearListener()

-- Check Current Scene
                          format "Checking Current Scene for materials of type %\n" typeOfMatToFind
                          for o in objects do (
                              if (isProperty o #material) then (
                                  if (classof o.material) == typeOfMatToFind then
                                      format "   scene: %\n" o.name
                              )
                          )

-- Check XRefs
                          for x in xrefScenes do (
                              format "Checking XRef: % for materials of type %\n" (filenameFromPath x.filename) typeOfMatToFind
                              for c in x.tree.children do (
                                  if (isProperty c #material) then (
                                      if (classof c.material) == typeOfMatToFind then
                                          format "   xref: % - %\n" (filenameFromPath x.filename) c.name                
                                  )
                              )
                          )
                      )
                      Colin Senner

Comment

Did you ever try the above script?
                        Colin Senner

Comment

Hey Colin, I missed this. I'll give it a whirl and see what happens. Thanks a billion.

Should I just save it with the extension '.ms'?
                          Last edited by tricky; 06-04-2009, 01:26 AM.
                          Kind Regards,
                          Richard Birket

Comment

Working...
                          X