Vray Config File...is any such thing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Config File...is any such thing?

we have installed 3dsmax on some PCs, we have not registed it as these are going to be used as render nodes - we have also installed vray and rt on these too for network rendering.

Now because we cannot actualy run/open these copys of Max we also cannot open the Vray render settings to input all the VraySpawner server information of the studios other computers.

does anyone know a way around this?

Hope that makes sense?

cheers!
    mdi-digital.com

I thought the spawner was a standalone .exe in the max directory?

I'm pretty sure i've used DR on our farm and didnt need to start max up.

Comment

well...the spawner works fine, the problem is this...

I submit a render though backburner via my main work computer (with fully working 3dsmax) - Within this file I have turned on Vrays distrbuted rendering. When the file starts rendering on the render node pc it cannot find the Vray spawners on the other computers because that information has not been imputted into the vray settings on that computer because Im unable to run max and imput the settings.

Too simplify (I think)
      GoTO - vray render settup/settings/Distributed rendering.
      this information regarding IPs/names is computer dependnent, not scene dependent.. what I need is a way to copy that information to the renderNode computers without opening 3DSMax?
      Last edited by mdi; 31-07-2009, 03:33 AM.
      mdi-digital.com

Comment

Search for a file called vray_dr.cfg. It's location can vary depending on how your workstation is setup. Usually it will be in a path like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Autodesk\3dsmax\9 - 32bit\enu\plugcfg

or

C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2009\plugcfg

Etc....

Sometimes the file is missing so you need to add it. You can copy it from your workstation and add nodes to the list if needed. Add a 1 to make a node active and a zero for inactive. Sometimes you have to experiment with the location to get it to work.

Comment

Yep, what arobbert wrote is correct; we will also be adding an option to transfer the render slaves list together with the scene for just these occasions.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

i cannot find this file anywhere on mmy computer..
            hints ?

Comment

You must change the V-Ray DR settings for this file to be created (e.g. add some render servers).

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

thanks i found it
                Last edited by MikeeMax; 09-10-2009, 12:58 PM.

Comment

I have DR enabled in a scene, I put the vray_dr.cfg file on the node BB server in both locations (program files/max/ etc, and local settings/etc.), add servers to the list (and even in the DR dialog I tell it to save list in scene), but when I submit the job to the BB server that I set up, it only renders with that one machine.
                  If I do DR on my workstation, it uses all the machines fine, but when I submit to BB server, it only shows buckets for the single BB machine.

Edit: Wanted to add my specs. Vray 1.5 SP5 in Max Design 2011 64 bit on xp pro 64 bit. All machines can see each other and I can do regular BB rendering (even DR rendering from my workstation), just the host node that has the vray_dr.cfg file won't pick up the other DR nodes. Even after restarting DR on the nodes.

Edit Edit: Ok, I turned on BB server on my workstation with DR checked in the file and it only shows my machine rendering in DR mode (shows name in the buckets). I even turned off spawners on the nodes, then turned them on, before I activated the BB job. It does render fine when I have Max open. But DR doesn't work through BB at all, even for my workstation. Any idea what that could be caused by?

Any info?
                  Last edited by chipnuts; 02-06-2010, 04:03 PM.
                  -Chippy

Comment

*bump* Anyone else have this problem?
                    -Chippy

Comment

There seems to be some problem there and I'm looking into it now.

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

Thanks, Vlado! This would help us out a lot if we can get this working properly. Looking forward to it!
                        -Chippy

Comment

Any word on a workaround, bugs, etc.?
                          -Chippy

Comment

The vray_dr.cfg file should work; just make sure the "Save hosts with scene" option is disabled when you save the scene (there seem to be some issues with it in SP5).

Best regards,
                            Vlado

Comment

Thanks for the update Vlado! Will check and report back.
                              -Chippy

Comment

Working...
                              X