Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• distorted effects in rounded glass facade III

hi there,
    once again i struggle with a problem i thought of i solved it yet.
    i posted about the issue that i get distorted effects in rounded glass objects before, and got a lot of good advices, also that one that the glass object needs to have "thickness"
    my problems were solved then when i imported a double line from cad and extruded it.
    now i face the same problem in another object with a rounded glass object again, and now the problem stays also when i import and extrude a double line from cad.
    QUESTION: WHAT IS THICKNESS?, how do i create an object with thickness so that i don`t get these problems again

it could be thinkness and you have to check the max depth in refraction...default is 5 but if you have multiple layers of glasses I would incrase it....if you have a single plane for glass try ior=1.1
    show me the money!!

Comment

Originally posted by max montana View Post
      now i face the same problem in another object with a rounded glass object again, and now the problem stays also when i import and extrude a double line from cad.
      does the spline have all vertices welded? can you double check that it's extruded correctly?

Comment

You could also try adding a shell modifier to your plane to give it thickness.
        Check out my models on 3dOcean

Comment

thanks for your replies,
          as most of you still think my glass geometry is a plane i will describe how i made it.
          1.) in autocad i made a closed polyline of the glass which surrounds the patio out of the floor plan.
          2.) with "offset" in autocad i made a second polyline with the distance of 1 cm
          3.) i imported the layer where only these 2 lines where on in 3dsmax and extruded it there
          4.) i added a glassmaterial with a falloffmap in reflection, ior 1,5, (max depht 5 as there is no other glassmaterial in front or behind my glass)
          5.) rendered, and got the distorted effect
          6.) posted...
          7.) added a shell modifier with inner amount 1,0....and got the distorted effect still
          8.) changed the shell modifier to outer amount 1,0, and the distorted effect is gone, but my glass and the romms behind it are darker now(which i would like to avoid)

i just want to understand why i get the distorted effect on rounded glass, when i make my glas object as i described it above(polyline, offset, extrude)
          this is not a plane, the material has "thickness", or am i missing something? i would like to build to avoid the shell modifier as this darkens the rooms behind the glass

would be very thankfull for explanaitons, to know how i have to build my glassobjects in the future
          Attached Files
          Last edited by max montana; 30-09-2009, 09:28 AM.

Comment

I would try first with IOR=1 and pure white reflection, just to see if you got the same problem......have you tried solids insted two faces?
            show me the money!!

Comment

If the glass has already two faces, the shell modifier shouldn't be necessary, you'd have something like a double glass then. I have the impression that the distortion is due the glass object smoothing, you could try to put a smooth modifier on top of it, with autosmooth enabled and something like 5 in value.

Also, can you save just your glass object or a small part of your scene to a separate file and attach it here? It will be much easier to see which is the problem.

Comment

through the assistance from codi i know now how to fix the problem.
                (smooth modifier, autosmooth enabled, value 1)
                @flino. i posted this problem before http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...ad.php?t=44644, and got also the hint to lower the ior th 1,0, and it worked. but most of the hints there were, to stay with the "correct" settings for glass in the ior(about 1,5) and to fix the problem there, where it comes from, the geometry. so i wanted to understand now what causes this issues when i use a rounded object with an glassmaterial.

Comment

Working...
                X