Matte blocking light on rendered object, but not shadow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matte blocking light on rendered object, but not shadow

Okay, I have a compositing problem. There may be an easy answer for this -- but I'm just not seeing it.

A simple scene explains my problem.

I have a renderable teapot that I want to composite into a photo.

I have placed a matte cylinder to block some of the VraySun light that is hitting the teapot.

I have a matte plane to catch the shadow of the teapot.

The problem is that the teapot shadow silhouette is "perfect" -- in other words, it seems to me that the light being blocked by the cylinder should prevent the teapot from casting a shadow in that area. For instance the lid of the teapot is in the matte cylinder's shadow so it is receiving no sunlight -- yet the lid is casting a shadow on the floor.

Is there a way to fix this in vray? Basically I need the shadow of the teapot to be partially "subtracted" or blocked by the matte cylinder.

If not in vray - what is the easiest way to create a composite of what I want.

See attached image to see the problem.Click image for larger version

Name:	matte issue..JPG
Views:	1
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	869630

Hey davision, try to uncheck "No Gi on other mattes" in the VrayMtlWrapper...
    and it should appear like this
    Regards,

Kai Hopermann

yoose3d

Comment

Thanks Kai. But that's not what I need... I am compositing into a photo. And the cylinder is acting like an actual pillar in the photo in that it's blocking light. The photo already shows the shadow cast by the pillar -- so I don't a rendered shadow from the pillar too. Instead I need shadow of the teapot "subtracted" in the spot where the pillar's shadow "should" be.

Comment

Working...
      X