Displacement UVW problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displacement UVW problem

How can I get my grass displacement to fall off in height towards the edge of an object? I have a mix map set up for my diffuse channel which is working fine using UVW channel 1 for the grass and dirt textures and channel 2 for a hand-painted mix map around the edges.

This works fine but when I try to use the same method to get a falloff on the displacement height towards the edges the Vray Displacement modifier overrides both maps to use the same UVW map channel. Does anyone know how can I get round this?

Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Check out my models on 3dOcean

not sure if it's an option for you, but you can use some modeling to make the surface crowned...I do this sometimes just playing around with the soft selection in sub-poly....hth

Comment

Hey, I'm having a similar problem but its more about wanting to break up the tiling of my texture with different layers of material on different map channels. It looks despite having this nice mix map of materials to break it up, vray displacement only uses one of the uvs which forces the larger textures to be the same uv and thus even more visible tiling.

So is it true that vray displacement can't handle mix materials with different uv's?
      Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

No, the Vray Displacement modifier has a channel ID which means it will use whichever map you choose. The maps for diffuse etc can still use another channel ID. My problem stems from the fact that I'm trying to use nested maps with different IDs within the displacement modifier.

Comment

You should be able to have both maps use the same Map channel if you set it up properly.

Use a Vray comp tex set to multiply with the two different bitmaps [Hand painted edges should be black for this to work!]

Set up uv map for the handpainted map

Then simply increase the tileing [In the 3ds max 'BITMAP properties' in the material editor] of the spikey bitmap till you get it how you like
          ** The fact that you can independantly change the tileing of the bitmap & the uv map is one of the best features of max EVER made, I'd be lost with out it!]

Put vray comp tex in the displacement slot & now it will work as you wanted it!

Cheers

Comment

Smart. but does that mean (at least in my case) that settings such as the 2d mapping resolution need to be increased now that you're working with a larger size UVW Map and tiling the smaller textures?
            Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

??? not sure about that ????

Maybe someone with more knowledge of displacement can answer that properly...sorry!

Comment

Originally posted by 3DMK View Post
                You should be able to have both maps use the same Map channel if you set it up properly.

Use a Vray comp tex set to multiply with the two different bitmaps [Hand painted edges should be black for this to work!]

Set up uv map for the handpainted map

Then simply increase the tileing [In the 3ds max 'BITMAP properties' in the material editor] of the spikey bitmap till you get it how you like
                ** The fact that you can independantly change the tileing of the bitmap & the uv map is one of the best features of max EVER made, I'd be lost with out it!]

Put vray comp tex in the displacement slot & now it will work as you wanted it!

Cheers
                Give that man a coconut! I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but it sounds like a promising workaround.

Comment

Working...
                X