Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glass + liquid + ice rocks... IOR changed !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glass + liquid + ice rocks... IOR changed !

Hello,

First, sorry if my question had ever been solved somewhere in the forum, but i did not find the answer to my problem.

I did a scene with a glass, and liquid (water ) + ice rocks inside. I set the IOR for each element, when i do the render of the rocks, refraction is ok. But when i add the glass and the liquid the ior refraction of the rocks seems to be canceled by the glas and the liquid.... The rocks sides seems to be flat and they loose their relief.

Here is an image...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ior.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	869686

Is there something i did not do to change this and keep the same refraction for my ice rocks in the two case ?

Thank you for your help...

What is the reflection and refraction depth for the material? The defaults are 5 for both, but you need quite a bit more for this scene.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I let the 5 default value for the reflection refraction of all my shaders. Do I need to increase the max depth of refraction for my ice rocks only or for all my élément (glass, liquid...) ??

Comment

Would be faster to increase it globally from the "Global switches" rollout in the V-Ray settings.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

you have to count how many objects a ray has panetrated. I.e. walls of the glass (front and back) cubes, and so on. If you have 5, it will stop before exiting the glass producing incorrect refraction.
          Dmitry Vinnik
          Silhouette Images Inc.
          ShowReel:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
          https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Thank you !
            Normally i've got 3 objects penetrated, (2 sides for the glass and 1 for the liquid), but 3 for max depth is not suitable, i need more depth...
            Last edited by thieuma; 16-04-2010, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
              Would be faster to increase it globally from the "Global switches" rollout in the V-Ray settings.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              Very handy! I always thought that it would just set a maximum/cap that they would reach. Thanks.

b
              Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
              e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Sorry - if you set that global switch to 20 would that mean 10/10 reflect/refract, or 20 each?

b
                Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
                e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

They will be 20 each.

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

Remember to add your back faces to the number of bounces if you have "reflect on backside" ticked ON.....which I would recommend in this situation to get more realistic reflections.
                    The ice should be getting internal reflections on the back face which you would notice considering how thick it is.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X