Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VRay material version of "Glass - Thin Geometry" like in MentalRay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay material version of "Glass - Thin Geometry" like in MentalRay?

Hi all

OK so we all know you need to model glass with a thickness to at least render nice. Thin (1 poly thick) glass just doesn't work apparently. MentalRay overcame this problem by using Glass - Thin Geometry. How can I setup my VRayMtl to be same as this?

I have a situation where my objects are 1 poly thick, adding "shell modifier" doesn't work as the geometry is just too complex. How can I cheat render this asif I have a thickness?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

It's actually very easy; set the diffuse color to black, use a Falloff map in Fresnel mode for the reflection color; set the refraction color to white; set the IOR to 1.0; turn on the "Reflect on backside" option. That should be all.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

thanks Vlado
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
        It's actually very easy; set the diffuse color to black, use a Falloff map in Fresnel mode for the reflection color; set the refraction color to white; set the IOR to 1.0; turn on the "Reflect on backside" option. That should be all.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I've been handling it by simply unlinking the reflection ior and the refraction ior, then set the refraction to 1.0. Does using a falloff map instead have some kind of benefit to it?
        Jeff Adams - Freelance Architectural Illustrator
        http://www.jamodeler.com/freelance/

Comment

The Fresnel ior is somewhat dependent on the refraction one (so that internal reflections can be preserved in a consistent way), so the effect will not be quite the same.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
          X