noise in glossies - found the initiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noise in glossies - found the initiator

after uncountable renderings and frustration about the noise in the glossy reflections I finally found the problem.

the problem is the glossy texture, if you take one. without a map the glossies are clean and nice, but with a map (texture) all is messed up. you have no chance to get clean glossy reflections, also with 100 subdiv. It took me a while to figure it out.

without a texture...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ohne_map.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	873178
    nice and clean

with a texture...
    Click image for larger version

Name:	mit_map.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	873179
    noisy!

ehm, vlado... is there a workaround or trick?

best regards
    themaxxer
    Pixelschmiede GmbH
    www.pixelschmiede.ch

Can you describe your shader comparisons a bit more. for the unmapped what was the numeric glossiness value? and in the mapped version what did you supply as a map (vray color, parametric texture or bitmap) and also was the glossiness value something other than 1?

I am very interested in this as I've been experiencing similar issues but never figured it could be the map.

V Miller

Comment

try using a bit of filtering there within the map params...i used to get this too until i ve figured yout its the filtering left at really low value that caused it
      PLUS
      try upping your DMC to something like 1/8 maybe more and see what it does

if you PM me, ill send you a vray preset you can play with if you want
      Martin
      http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

Originally posted by vance3d View Post
        Can you describe your shader comparisons a bit more. for the unmapped what was the numeric glossiness value? and in the mapped version what did you supply as a map (vray color, parametric texture or bitmap) and also was the glossiness value something other than 1?

I am very interested in this as I've been experiencing similar issues but never figured it could be the map.

V Miller
        the numeric value was 0.7 for the unmapped version. in the mapped version I've used a bitmap for the glossy effect. I think the same as for bump. the glossiness value is about 1, BUT if you render with solidrocks and want to use "Interp. gloss in IrrMap" then ypu have to use a lower value (0.75) to tell solidrocks that its a glossy reflection. without that solidrocks wont optimize the material at all.

I have made several more tests and I have figured out the noise problems comes from the VraySky light (map) I have lights in skylight mode, but nothing helps to get rid of the noise except raising the DMC values to 1/16! this causes high rendertimes.
        Pixelschmiede GmbH
        www.pixelschmiede.ch

Comment

Well if the mapped version is causing a lower glossiness value then you'd need more subdivisions than without the map no ?

Comment

Originally posted by instinct View Post
            Well if the mapped version is causing a lower glossiness value then you'd need more subdivisions than without the map no ?
            that's right. but both versions are almost the same.
            Pixelschmiede GmbH
            www.pixelschmiede.ch

Comment

Tough to say in the screenies. If they are about the same glosiness-wise then they are a lot weaker. Less contribution to the RGB means less samples, so maybe that's a culprit there?

Just wildly guessing.

Regards,
              Thorsten

Comment

hm, very interesting guessing. so you mean the result is a third of the value 0.7?

best regards
                themaxxer
                Pixelschmiede GmbH
                www.pixelschmiede.ch

Comment

and if you use as bitmap a full grey texture with a RGB values as 255x0.7=178 the result is the same as unmapped or the noise shows up again?

Comment

Originally posted by instinct View Post
                    If they are about the same glosiness-wise then they are a lot weaker. Less contribution to the RGB means less samples, so maybe that's a culprit there?
                    Can you please explain what this means?
                    for my blog and tutorials:
                    www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

Working...
                    X