FastSSS2 Specular highlight does not reflect in mirror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FastSSS2 Specular highlight does not reflect in mirror

I'm working in 1.5 and I've noticed a weird thing...

If I assign a FastSSS2 material to a sphere and give it a specular/reflection highlight and sit that sphere in from of a mirror object, the reflection in the mirror shows no specularity on the sphere. The reflected image of the sphere looks like it's made of chalk (i.e. very flat).

I'm rendering with normal settings (Lightcache + Irradiance Map) ... but if I render with PPT setting (using SolidRocks) I can get the specular highlight to show up in the mirror relfection.

VrayMats do not seem to have this problem. But if I ad a VRayMat as a transparent reflective coating to a base FastSSS2 material (using a VrayBlendMtl) it will kill the specular reflection component of the VrayMat in the mirror.

One other thing - I can see the specular component during the lightcache build of the render - but it seems to get killed during the Irradiance Map phase.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by JeffG2; 04-01-2012, 01:03 PM.

Well Jeff, you're a real dolt!

Don't you realize in cases like this that your problem is easily solved by unchecking "use for glossy rays" under the light cache settings! But you would probably know that if you spent more time learning the software and less time combing your hair.

Now that you have the solution, you can go back to rendering your mirrored balls on checkered plains. Good luck with that!

Comment

Love it!
      Time for a holiday?
      Chris Jackson
      Shiftmedia
      www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Yes, unfortunately it is a side effect of the "use light cache for glossy rays" option that hilights in reflections are not computed. Using the "Retrace" option might help though.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
        X