V-Ray Plane Horizon Issue/Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ray Plane Horizon Issue/Question

I am having an issue with V-Ray plane in that I can see a distinct horizon line. I know I can raise the camera to compensate, but am happy with the angle on the product already. I also have tried putting the plane on a 5 degree angle to the camera, but it changes the gradient falloff. I've also tried two planes, one flat, and the other at an angle, but again, I can see the horizon line. Short of creating a standard cove object, is there a way to eliminate the line that the plane causes? ("Horizon" is unchecked on the camera btw).

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	vrayplaneissue.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	876568
    David Anderson
    www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
    Windows 10 Pro
    3ds Max 2023.3 Update
    V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
    Puget Systems
    TRX40 EATX
    AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core 3.69GHz
    2X NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
    128GB RAM

stick a distant falloff in the opacity slot for the plane's shader
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

Hi,
      You can try to "Matte" the plane or to use Falloff map in the Opacity slot.
      Horizon option in V-Ray physical camera settings works for the view port.
      Probably in your approach will be better if you use a curved object for the floor instead of V-Ray Plane.
      Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks. Yes, someone else suggested that I build a studio rig. That seems to have done what I needed it to do, although I can't figure out how to get a nice gradient look to it. Does that have to do with falloff? I want to go from a fairly bright white (24 to a lighter or medium grey (125 or 150).
        David Anderson
        www.DavidAnderson.tv

Software:
        Windows 10 Pro
        3ds Max 2023.3 Update
        V-Ray GPU 6 Update 1

Hardware:
        Puget Systems
        TRX40 EATX
        AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X 32-Core 3.69GHz
        2X NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
        128GB RAM

Comment

then go the matte route. Just make your gradient like you want and stick it in the background slot (or leave black and comp it in afterwards)
          then just matte your studio rig
          right click on object and select "vray properties" then tick "matte" set alpha contribution to -1 and tick effect shadows and alpha

if you go the route of leaving background black, then you may have to use an environment override. Or use a vray dome light with hdri

there's many different combinations to achieve the result you're after. It's up to you to decide which approach works better for you
          Kind Regards,
          Morne

Comment

Working...
          X