Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Black buckets with Brute Force and Adaptive DMC (and render to texture)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black buckets with Brute Force and Adaptive DMC (and render to texture)

I have been trying to render out a texture of a global illumination lighting a sphere, but there seem to be random buckets turning out black for some reason.

Click image for larger version

Name:	totalLightingPass.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	877271

Click image for larger version

Name:	totalLightingPass_gamma.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	877272

I'm not rendering the texture using Distributed Rendering, but I've seen these "missing buckets" turning up when rendering final images with Brute Force before actually.
    It seems like the edges of the light is where these missing buckets show up, as if they consider there is no need to render them.

I suspect these missing buckets is a "feature" of the Adaptive DMC because rendering with Fixed image sampler show no missing buckets at all, even with Distributed Rendering.
    Adaptive DMC is faster, but I cannot figure out how to make it put sampels at the edges too. Seems like there is a threshold value somewhere that the information in these missing buckets are below to be included in the render.

Any thoughts?

Well, perhaps I should turn down the DMC Adaptiveness below 1.0 to get more buckets to render...
    Haven't tried it but should solve things I guess.

I guess I need to reduce the max amount of samples so that I won't get too long render times.

Comment

Hi,
      Set your min AA DMC to 2.
      www.deex.info

Comment

Originally posted by Swahn_Kung View Post
        Well, perhaps I should turn down the DMC Adaptiveness below 1.0 to get more buckets to render...
        Haven't tried it but should solve things I guess.

I guess I need to reduce the max amount of samples so that I won't get too long render times.
        BigBossFr is right.

Vlado mentioned in a couple of his posts that he doesn't recommend using adaptiveness of 1.0 any more as there's a good chance vray won't get enough samples first to make good decisions on further adaptive sampling - try dropping it to 0.9 and see if that helps.

Comment

Setting the min. subdivs for the adaptive DMC image sampler to 2 should also help, as bigbossfr suggested.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

That solved it! You are a rock Vlado! bigbossfr too!

Originally posted by vlado View Post
            Setting the min. subdivs for the adaptive DMC image sampler to 2 should also help, as bigbossfr suggested.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            Last edited by Swahn_Kung; 20-02-2013, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X