Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRayMat Glossy Reflections but Env map reflection is sharp

Hi folks,

I've long struggled with this one. If I have a reflective vraymat with, say, 0.5 glossiness value, it reflects objects in the scene nice and blurry as expected. But if I'm using a map in the environment or reflection override (a sharp photo in this example) it will be reflected pin sharp in the material. Therefore we can say that the glossiness of the material is ignored when it comes to the reflective environment/override.

Is this correct? It seems it can't be right. Is there a param somewhere to change this behaviour? At the moment my workaround is to use a custom version of the same BG photo map that has a blur value of around 60 for the reflection override, and it looks suitably blurry in the glossy material. But this is naturally not physically correct and clunky.

Thanks,
    Alex York
    Founder of Atelier York - Bespoke Architectural Visualisation
    www.atelieryork.co.uk

Everything is fine in my tests. Can you upload/send a simple scene ? What version are you using ?
    If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
    Chaos

Comment

Originally posted by slizer View Post
      Everything is fine in my tests. Can you upload/send a simple scene ? What version are you using ?
      I'm using the latest stable build but I've had this in many other versions as well. I might try to pack up a simplified version of the scene but it's an extremely sensitive project. I might try to make a new scene from scratch that has the same issue.
      Alex York
      www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

I have discovered the issue - using Screen Mapping for the Environment map, in this case a photo. We use this mode all the time when doing photo-montages. I guess the work-around would be to use a spherical or cylindrical version of the same photo in the Reflection Override slot, but this means a lot of extra work. Would it not be possible to have vray properly interpret a Screen Mapped map for this purpose?
        Alex York
        www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Aaaah I see - this is not a bug. Its hard to explain (for me) , but that is the way raytracing work in case of Screen mapping. I will try to write you an explanation later.

Peter Matanov
          Chaos

Comment

Thank you - I thought that might be the case, although I do hope there might be a workaround for this that doesn't involve using different maps. My feeling is that if a material is glossy it should reflect everything glossy in the same fashion, as you'd expect in reality.
            Alex York
            www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

I promise you that you can't reproduce the "Screen mapping" scenario in reality In this case you have no environment for your objects to reflect/refract. All there is is the background image which is projected straight through from the camera, so all your reflections/refractions are projected in the same manner which is why your glossy material looks sharp (its actually appearing transparent).

Peter Matanov
              Chaos

Comment

This makes sense. I think the only solution, then, is to have a custom version of the map that is blurred or converted for spherical/cylindrical mapping.

Thanks,
                Alex York
                www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Yes - stick to the more "realistic" environments for best results

Peter Matanov
                  Chaos

Comment

Working...
                  X