Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

90 Second Vray Animation predicts 1/4 of a year to complete! WTF??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 Second Vray Animation predicts 1/4 of a year to complete! WTF??

Hey folks,

Can somebody please help me solve an issue that is driving me absolutely crazy?

I have been using 3DS MAX / Vray now, for almost 2 years (using it everyday) and I have hit my first major brick wall.
    Over the 2 years I have managed to resolve all my issues with a little bit of research, but this time I have well and truly hit the wall.

Basically I am trying to render out a 90 second flythrough animation. To make it easier to render, I have divided the 90 second sequence up into 10 parts (10 cameras).
    I began with the easiest one - A simple flythrough animation down a corridor that lasts all of 3 seconds! (90 frames)

After following a lot of training, a ton of research and various peoples' input I discovered the best way to render out this sequence is to run a light cache first, followed by an irradiance map and then a final render.
    (I should note the frame size is set for a 600 x 800 window).

Today it took 4 hrs to render the light cache, 6hrs to render the irradiance map and 5 hrs to get to frame 3 of 90!!! so i hit the cancel button!
    At this speed, we'd be looking at 4 days to render 3 seconds and approx 3-4months to render out this small sequence!

I have played around and tested every single possible setting i can think of, but it seems to only get worse.
    Everyone I have spoke to said that this is obviously not right and that perhaps there is a setting on that's causing it to take so long. (i just cant find it)

I could go through the many options I have set up, but I think its best if someone can take a look at the file for me?
    If you fancy a challenge? Let me know and I'll upload it.

I should mention my spec is :
    Windows 7 Home Premium
    AMD Athlon II X4 640 Processor 3.00GHz
    32GB Ram
    64bit machine

with
    3DS MAX 2013
    Vray 2.3

It would really be best to contact our support guys to vray@chaosgroup.com; they will help you sort this out.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

thank you for your response. I will send an email now! regards, jonm4y

Comment

Take a screenshot of your settings and upload an example frame, something is very wrong.

Comment

Vray screenshot

Please find attached a screen shot of all my Vray settings. Any questions please feel free to ask.
          These settings are set up post Light Cache and Irradiance map rendering.

Regards,

jonm4y
          Attached Files
          Last edited by jonm4y; 12-09-2013, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Only things that stand out to me are:

Vray Adaptive DMC image smpler
            Max Subdivisions = 50 (default = 4)

seems a bit high to me.
            and:

Indirect Ilumination (GI)
            Ambient Occlusion Subdivisions = 32 (Default =

Don't know if that helps?

Bill

Comment

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your post. I did have the subdivisions at 30 but the sampling was quite pixelated. Going up to 50 smoothed out the noise. Same with the Ambient Occlusion.

As for the GI, I have environment Vray Sun and Sky in my scene, so I think it would affect the scene if I were to remove it.

It's probably going to be something really small that's causing it, like I've accidentally ticked the 'Take As Long As You Want To Render' button!

Many Thanks for your input. I'll try removing the GI and see what happens....

in the meantime, if you have any other ideas please feel free to put them in the mix.

Regards,

jonm4y

Comment

Apply gray shader to everything and then render. Where does the render stops, is it particular material or area? Its hart do suggest something without seeing the scene/issues.
                CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Hi Dadal,

First of all thank you for your reply. I will just prepare my file now and upload it shortly.

Secondly, I just clicked on your website link and I was blown away!!! Your stuff is amazing!!!

V.Impressed!!!

Regards, jonm4y

Comment

Call me odd but isn't "Interp. Samples: 100" a bit high?
                    Cheers,
                    Oliver

https://www.artstation.com/mokiki

Comment

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for your input. I tried to reduce the samples to 20, but it made no difference to the time whatsoever

Regards, jonm4y

Comment

3ds max zip file for corridor attached

CORRIDOR_ANIMATION.zip

3 second animation. Press play to see sequence.

Comment

File now uploaded! Best of luck with it! Many Thanks

Comment

Cant render it since of license but from looking at ur scene I see one issue...

U are using Max lights which are not even set up to use vray shadows. Change them to Vray Lights and then try rendering. I think this could cause some long render times. Also as far as I can tell, only doors are moving. So maybe you can bake use static GI approach and exclude doors from affecting GI too much. This way you should render it a lot faster. Also the number of lights. Maybe you could limit them...

U can also bake the lightmap and so on to objects and then render that...
                            Last edited by Dariusz Makowski (Dadal); 16-09-2013, 02:50 AM.
                            CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

Can you upload one of the rendered frames, as without textures it is difficult to see what areas need to be checked for issues. But I agree with DADAL, the Photometric lights are gonna slow you down.
                              Any reason why you are not using VrayIES
                              Last edited by Raven; 16-09-2013, 07:57 AM.
                              Gavin Jeoffreys
                              Freelance 3D Generalist

Comment

Working...
                              X