Clear All

• Bump map and skylight look bad with Irradiance map

Take a peak at this image...

Click image for larger version

Name:	vraydifference.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	878640

the brute force sphere looks how I'd expect, good definition in the bump. But the Irradiance Map sphere looks like the bump is pasted on, almost like the bump isn't actually being affected at all by the lighting.

Is there any way to get the irradiance map sphere to look more like the brute force sphere without taking the time hit? Thanks.

- Neil

There isn't a lot to do about that unfortunately; the irradiance map stores very limited information about the directions the GI is coming from so there are limits to what it can do for bump mapping.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Would it be worth it adding this as a wishlist item? or would adding that information about directions slow down the irradiance cache to the speed of the brute force GI?

- Neil

Comment

It won't slow it down, but it would make the irradiance map larger both on disk and in RAM. Seeing as how people sometimes have gigabytes of irradiance maps, we have to be careful with that.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

Ok, I'll add it as an official wishlist item then in the wishlist thread on the forum. If it's defaulted to off in the irradiance map, then people could choose to turn it on if they really needed the better bumps, but otherwise its off so that people's maps don't get bigger. Thanks!

- Neil

Comment

Btw if skylight is what you are after, a dome light might help a lot to get better bump.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

Thanks for the tip, it helps get better definition at the top of the sphere, but it still has that pasted on look unfortunately.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vraydifference2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	850071

- Neil

Comment

Working...
              X