Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raw Reflection element incorrect when using blend material (nether is refl/refl filt)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raw Reflection element incorrect when using blend material (nether is refl/refl filt)

I just noticed that my raw reflection render element is somehow multiplied by my blend material masks. I.e it is already masked and looks like a reflection element but not complete with the reflection filter.

Should the raw reflection not be just that and the full reflection mask be contained in the reflection filter element?

How would I negate my reflection/blend masks?
    Win10 x64, 3DS Max 2017 19.0, Vray 3.60.03
    Threadripper 1950x, 64GB RAM, Aurous Gaming 7 x399,

If your mask is black in some places, V-Ray will naturally not compute any reflections there, so there is nothing to go into the raw element.

Further on, I would recommend to not use any of the raw passes that come out of V-Ray directly (except for informational purposes perhaps); instead, derive them in your compositing app using the other passes (i.e. raw reflection=reflection/reflection_filter).

Best regrds,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Ok thanks, i guess it would be silly to calc all reflections just to mask them - makes sense.

Comment

Vlado why do you don't recommend to use raw passes?
        CGI - Freelancer - Available for work

www.dariuszmakowski.com - come and look

Comment

There are some math inaccuracies in them at the minute so raw reflection by reflection filter won't equal what is in the final render. I think Vlado mentioned that he's correcting the internal calculations in vray to use the method he's mentioned above.

Comment

Humh... well if vray RAW math is off and Photoshop is absolutely worthless at doing math in 32/16 bits then the only option left I have is nuke. Which mean that my workflow will get so much longer with RAW passes now Uhhh

Comment

But you'll get a warm tingly feeling inside with all the great features that make your life easier.
              As your elements are named by default you can more or less just swap your input file and then you're onto the artistic stuff.

Comment

We've actually improved this for V-Ray 3.0 by doing the above said calculation automatically in V-Ray.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Oh that's great! So the V3 beta is running good RAW passes and its only the photoshop that ruins my art now? Awesomeeeeeeee

Comment

That's good news. Nice work guys.

Comment

That's great to hear, and I just tested it on my end - VRay 3.0's RAW passes are working great - no more edge artifacts!
                      Akin Bilgic | CGGallery.com
                      Modeler & Generalist TD

V-Ray Render Optimization
                      V-Ray DMC Calculator

Comment

That's just saved me a lot of time from re-jigging all my comps to not include RAW passes. I think I'll just wait for Vray 3 and stick to using the RAW passes. Great work!

Dean

Comment

Working...
                        X