Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vraydisplacement gaps around seams

Hi,

I´m still struggling with Vraydisplacement. it works fine for procedural displacement, but as soon as I´m using UV-mapped textures, i´m getting problems.
    There are gaps around most of the UV-Seams in my models.
    I´ve done a lot of research on that matter, you can find some of my findings in this CG-talk thread:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...=140&t=1127157

As it is detailed here, UV seams just are problematic and need to be worked around by either hiding them whenever possible, or laying out squared UV Shells.

I really love the 32 bit Displacement you can get out of Vray, but for UV mapped models it seems it is still better to stick with the lower quality displacement via Max standard displacement modifier and to add in the extra detail via bumpmapping.

I´d love to be corrected or hear other ideas though!

There's not much we can do about that unfortunately. Ptex is *the* solution, but last time I checked, Z-Brush did not support it.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Yeah, I already thought so, but thanks for clarifying!
      At least Vray supports Ptex, so thats a good start...I was just wondering how people doing high level VFX (especially creature design) are doing it, but I guess the probably just use different tools....

Comment

its not uncommon to do the sculpt work in zbrush and the baking in mudbox...

Comment

Originally posted by FSGFX View Post
          its not uncommon to do the sculpt work in zbrush and the baking in mudbox...
          Yup, I know a lot of people who use that technique. Or do your baking in max, so you avoid the problem with turbosmooth being incompatible with catmull clark subdivisions.

- Neil

Comment

Hey, thanks for chiming in guys, i´m still amazed about the 3D community...where else do you get your heroes to chime in on problems you have becoming them...
            I´ll have a look into the mudbox baking workflow then. Displacement baking in 3ds Max is only an option as long as you have no HD geometry in zbrush I guess (unless you go for the "old fashioned" way of using displacement only for medium detail and extra bump mapping for the fine details).

Comment

If you don't need deformations, you can also export the high-res mesh to an .obj file and use ply2vrmesh to convert it to .vrmesh - then it will render exactly as in ZBrush without any tinkering with displacements.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
              X