Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem With MultiMatte and Vectormap

Recently finished a project where this problem popped up:

I'm using a AI file as a texture through the new VectorMap in max 2014, and wanted to have it affect the MultiMatte RE so I only get the opaque parts of the map as a matte colour.
    For some reason, my workstation can't do this, while the DR slaves can (rather baffling). All machines are running the same version of all software involved (latest update for max, and vray 2.40.04).
    In addition, the multimatte is sampled badly in the areas that work, and the alpha is strange, as it is only showing the boxes and not the plane as one would assume.
    I also wonder about how to get Vray to sample the vectormap better as seen in the samplerate pass.
    Can anyone please shed some light as to what I might have done wrong?
    Here are the passes, and a zip with the scene attached:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	MultiMatte.Vectormap.RGB_color.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	879153Click image for larger version

Name:	MultiMatte.Vectormap.MultiMatteElement.jpg
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	879154Click image for larger version

Name:	MultiMatte.Vectormap.Alpha.jpg
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	879155Click image for larger version

Name:	MultiMatte.Vectormap.VRaySampleRate.jpg
Size:	455.6 KB
ID:	879156
    Scene File
    Signing out,
    Christian

Hmm. Reloaded the scene after lunch, and now the multimatte is rendering ok on my machine too.
    The sampling on the multimatte edges is still and issue, even after upping the min image samples to 3 (in a desperate attempt). Though at 3-16, the samplerate pass looks better in regards to the AI textures edges.
    I also found that in the RawGI pass, you can see noise differences between the blended materials for some strange reason.
    RawGI pass

The alpha still puzzles me though
    Last edited by trixian; 25-11-2013, 05:25 AM.
    Signing out,
    Christian

Comment

Hello and thank you very much for the information.
      Would it be possible to send this scene for investigation ?
      Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
      Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Hi.

Scenefile is included in the first post.
        Probably should have added some empty lines between the images and the link so one can see it better.
        Last edited by trixian; 26-11-2013, 03:09 AM.
        Signing out,
        Christian

Comment

Ahhhh - I missed that

Ok - alpha issue is related to Affect Channels set Affect All Channels both in Reflection and Refractions and at the same time both properties are turned off (0,0,0-color) - if you switch them to color only the alpha will be rendered fine.

RawGI pass difference is something normal - brighter materials usually requires more sampling than the darker ones and that's why they are cleaner in the RawGI pass , you could fix that by decreasing DMC / Noise Threshold value or increase GI multiplier from VrayObjectProperties window.

Still looking into MultiMatte Issue - will let you know if I find a solution about it.

Comment

The alpha settings in the refraction was probably set as a mistake when trying to get the multimatte to work. Initially I had an issue where the base materials matID would override the blended ones. I later found out that the base material had to have no (id 0) matID assigned to get the correct result. Ideally I wanted the base material as red, and the AI plan as green with any extra stuff like the buildings as blue.
            Typically I forgot to reset those parameters as they seemed to have no effect on my problem.

Still waiting eagerly for the edge/sampling issue of the multilmatte.
            Signing out,
            Christian

Comment

Hello trixian

We haven't found a solution to this issue so far.
              We are going to upload the bug into our system and we'll let you know when our developers find a solution about it.

Edit: It seems that the issue is related to 3DSMax rather than Vray - if you open the vector map into preview mode in 3DSMax you will see the same jagged edges like the ones in MultiMatte Element.
              Last edited by svetlozar.draganov; 15-04-2014, 03:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X