• Show
Clear All

• sampling & a hdri

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture_curtain & hdri.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	879298

Hopefully this image captures what is going on. You can see that in the foreground there's a curtain with opacity mapped holes in it. Behind it there is foliage below and an HDRI sky beyond.

I take it that there's a sampling issue with the HDRI's high dynamic range. What's the best solution to avoiding this?

I thought about hiding the dome light and putting another hdri into a background slot, that is clamped - but then it looks like it needs some noodling to match the right brightness from how it looked previously.

thoughts?

a few render notes:
    DMC: 1/16
    Dome light, 256 subdivs
    no filtering on opacity map of curtain

thanks
    Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Hi,

What is the color information of those pixels, could you check with right click over them in the VFB window?
    What about if you increase the Min. DMC samples?
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by tashko.zashev View Post
      Hi,

What is the color information of those pixels, could you check with right click over them in the VFB window?
      What about if you increase the Min. DMC samples?
      right on. I'm always afraid to raise the min dmc samples, for fear it will cause the entire render to slow down.

but I just did some tests with raising the min dmc vs adding filtering to the opacity in the curtain. Both helped but filtering the opacity came at a great render time. So I'll take my chances rolling out this higher min dmc across the whole render in my next go.

thanks
      Brendan Coyle | www.brendancoyle.com

Comment

Hi,

I'm always afraid to raise the min dmc samples, for fear it will cause the entire render to slow down.
        Yes that's true, it will be better when we have a possibility to specify the sampling per object.
        Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Working...
        X