Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sun&Sky and HDR doesn't match

UPDATE...

Made a major mistake!! Thread can be deleted.

--------

Been doing some tests with hdr and ran into some issues, to narrow things down I made a test.

This rendering is made using vray 3.00.04 gamma 2,2 all linear. The lighting is a Sun & Sky system and camera is a vray camera with white balance set to pure white.

Then using the same scene I change the camera to 360 degrees and rendered the sky only and saved it as .hdr. Then I deleted all the Sun&Sky stuff and created a vraylight and set it to dome and used the .hdr file as a texture and got this result.

So the question is, why is the colors so far off?
    Last edited by suurland; 26-05-2014, 08:06 AM.
    www.suurland.com
    www.cg-source.com
    www.hdri-locations.com

So you saved the HDR of the VraySky without the sun.
    Where does the hard shadows come from in the HDR lit second rendering?
    Valentin

...forget Warp 9, engine-room please switch to Vray-speed...

Comment

Originally posted by baumgore View Post
      So you saved the HDR of the VraySky without the sun.
      Where does the hard shadows come from in the HDR lit second rendering?
      No, the sun is in the HDR map. The "and rendered the sky only" I just mean I rendered it without any objects.
      www.suurland.com
      www.cg-source.com
      www.hdri-locations.com

Comment

Nothing obvious like white balance in a vray camera or exposure? Is it the same when you save as an exr instead? I've heard there's slightly differences in how they handle colour.

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
          Nothing obvious like white balance in a vray camera or exposure? Is it the same when you save as an exr instead? I've heard there's slightly differences in how they handle colour.
          As explained above white balance is set to white in all cases. Just tried with a .exr file 100% same result as the .hdr file.
          www.suurland.com
          www.cg-source.com
          www.hdri-locations.com

Comment

OH MY GOD!!!!...

I'm so stupid, the camera I used to render the .hdr with was set to the wrong white balance.. I was 100% sure they were all white, and even double checked it, but checked the wrong camera :/

Sorry for wasting you guys time...
            www.suurland.com
            www.cg-source.com
            www.hdri-locations.com

Comment

It's the problem with being smart, we think we're too smart for it to be a simple problem

I used to have a script that I ran when setting my output file names for film shots and every time I made a dumb mistake, I'd add in a line of code to check for whatever dumb mistake I'd made and either give me a warning or fix it automatically. Good that it's something simple!

Comment

Working...
              X