No announcement yet.

Banding in Glazing Material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never have any problems with Sketchup models that I've made myself, but then I respect normal direction, object grouping and general good modelling practices when doing it. The stuff I get from people I work with is bullsh*t that ends up with me re-modelling it.
    Check out my (rarely updated) blog @ http://macviz.blogspot.co.uk/

www.robertslimbrick.com

Cache nothing. Brute force everything.

Comment

I think any model we have ever received, irrespective of the software used, has caused us more headaches than starting again in-house from scratch. Revit are the worst so far. It is like working in glue.
      Kind Regards,
      Richard Birket
      ----------------------------------->
      http://www.blinkimage.com

----------------------------------->

Comment

Same here. My models are problem free of course, but I tend to avoid Sketchup if possible, but the models I get from other are a nightmare. The whole reason why so many are attracted to Sketchup in the first place is the sole reason why it is a pain to deal with. It tricks people into thinking they can model and everything is fine. Its like these people deliberately click lines at random places and avoid snapping etc, and they are none the wiser while using Sketchup. Running the Cleanup tool by tomtom helps a bit, but is no magic solution.
        There a few if no examples of models tat are easier to model in Sketchup than Max. That being said, I still get the weird scaling issue, where most times my models come in scaled to imperial multipliers, even though the scetchup file is done in meters an my max is always meters. And if I try to edit the geometry, the normals are "sticky" as in they don't update with the modifications I'm doing, creating bad smoothing all over the place. I always need to run a procedure of converting to poly (for good measure) adding a edit normals modifier, select all normals (they then show as entirely green or partly green), and reset them (to blue). Lastly I do a reset xform on them and collapse. Even after this 2healing procedure2, the imported geometry will occasionally get the sticky normals later on when modeling and modifying them, and a new edit normal needs to be applied etc.

Does anyone else get this?
        Last edited by trixian; 30-06-2014, 04:55 AM.
        Signing out,
        Christian

Comment

Originally posted by trixian View Post
          Same here. My models are problem free of course, but I tend to avoid Sketchup if possible, but the models I get from other are a nightmare. The whole reason why so many are attracted to Sketchup in the first place is the sole reason why it is a pain to deal with. It tricks people into thinking they can model and everything is fine. Its like these people deliberately click lines at random places and avoid snapping etc, and they are none the wiser while using Sketchup. Running the Cleanup tool by tomtom helps a bit, but is no magic solution.
          There a few if no examples of models tat are easier to model in Sketchup than Max. That being said, I still get the weird scaling issue, where most times my models come in scaled to imperial multipliers, even though the scetchup file is done in meters an my max is always meters. And if I try to edit the geometry, the normals are "sticky" as in they don't update with the modifications I'm doing, creating bad smoothing all over the place. I always need to run a procedure of converting to poly (for good measure) adding a edit normals modifier, select all normals (they then show as entirely green or partly green), and reset them (to blue). Lastly I do a reset xform on them and collapse. Even after this 2healing procedure2, the imported geometry will occasionally get the sticky normals later on when modeling and modifying them, and a new edit normal needs to be applied etc.

Does anyone else get this?
          yes but all i've ever done to solve it is stick an Edit Mesh on top of the current mesh. This then shows the normals correctly.
          Alex York
          Founder of Atelier York - Bespoke Architectural Visualisation
          www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Working...
          X