Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2SidedMtl has reflection when it shouldn't?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2SidedMtl has reflection when it shouldn't?

I've got a stranage problem with a 2-sided material where I'm getting a reflection when I don't think I should be (I don't want one). I've tried everything to get rid of it: turned off raytraced reflections, increased blurriness, rebuilt geometry, checked normals, rebuilt materials, etc. but whatever I do I still get a nice sharp reflection. It's muted because of the glow on the two sided material but it's still noticeable. The image I'm working on is an elevator cab with a glowing ceiling (the ceiling is the 2-sided mtl). See the cropped images below...

RGB color:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	RGB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	880493

Reflection:

Name:	Refl.jpg
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	880496

2SidedMtl:

Name:	2sided.jpg
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	880494

Front Material:

Name:	front.jpg
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	880495

At this point I'm just going to leave the reflection because I can't get rid of it. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or a workaround?

Thanks,
    David

P.S. - should add I'm on V-Ray 2.40.02
    Last edited by dlparisi; 23-07-2014, 03:26 PM. Reason: Added vray version
    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

OK, I've kind of figured this out. The reflection was coming from the refraction of the front material if it was part of a 2-sided material. The amount of reflection was dependent on the value of the refraction color, independent of the blurriness. Once I took out the refraction amount the reflection disappeared. Seems like a bug to me unless I'm not understanding how the 2-sided material works.

Any thoughts?
    www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

Hi,

It looks like a bug to me, so I'm going to send simple scene to our developers in order to get confirmation about that.
      Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thanks for looking into this.

Comment

Working...
        X