Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Blowup Parameters

I am using the Blowup option in Vray to generate a tiled image:
    I can do it successfully using the Max Blowup render. If I try the vray version all I get is a render of the scene at whatever res I have selected.
    this is the sample code I am using.

Code:
           vr.output_width = test_wd as integer
    		vr.output_height = test_ht  as integer
    		vr.output_renderType = 4
    		vr.output_regxmin = scrn_x
    		vr.output_regymin = scrn_y
    		vr.output_regxmax = scrn_w
    		vr.output_regymax = scrn_h
    		--max quick render
    why isn't it creating a blowup render at scrn_x,scrn_y to screen_w,screen_h
    I was just using the quick render option till I make up a filename parsing code.

On the topic of filename parsing - how do I set the image out options (like Portable_Network_Graphics bit depth etc.)?

Raj

Did you turn off the "Get resolution from MAX" option in the V-Ray frame buffer settings?

For the image output options, there should be a way to set the properties of a 3ds Max Bitmap object, but I forget what it was - I'm sure it's in the MaxScript help somewhere.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

thanks for the reply.
      Yes, I turned off the vr.getsettingsfrommax (sp?) with the script.
      I tried testing it by just using the region render option, and that didn't seem to work either. I will do some more experimenting. today.
      You can probably guess the method of tiling I used, just a nested loop. I was wanting to render to file as the whole point of doing it tiled was to save memory, and to not then have to deal with a .vrimg that then needs to be converted to an .exr that then needs conversion to a 16 bit image to work with in Photoshop with the Photographic sources that I have.

Comment

seems to be fixed now. I just re-wrote that whole section a little bit more carefully, found a few typographic transpositions that resulted in legal code, just with unusual outcomes
        Will read the help file on file access and go through Bobo's tutorial disc again. 4 years away from max is a very long time.

Comment

ok its not fixed. In the worst way possible. I got it working, once, that's all. Now no joy whatsoever. This is the code:
          Code:
          vr = renderers.current
          curr_wd = 2000
          curr_ht = 2000
          vr.output_aspectlock = false --(let script determine all settings)
          vr.output_getsetsfrommax = false
          vr.output_width = 2000
          vr.output_height = 2000
          vr.output_renderType = 2  -- region render
          vr.output_regxmin = 0
          vr.output_regymin = 0
          vr.output_regxmax = 1000
          vr.output_regymax = 1000
          -- print ("total dimentsion " + curr_wd as string + " x " + Curr_ht as string)
          max quick render
          you really can't get any simpler than that can you. It should render a 2000x2000 image, in region render mode, just the top left hand corner.
          but it doesn't. It just renders the whole image Or am I reading the documentation wrong?

Comment

typo

just read the documentation again: there is spelling mistake on the online help:
            output_regxmax - The right coordinate (in pixels) of the region to render (for region/drop/blow-up rendering);
            output_regymin - The top coordinate (in pixels) of the region to render (for region/drop/blow-up rendering);
            output_regymax - The bottom coordinate (in pixels) of the region to render (for region/drop/blow-up rendering);

crop = drop.

Raj

Comment

Thanks for the typo pointer. Other than that - I'm looking into why the script isn't working now.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

So it turns out you need to set the 3ds Max output to also match the final resolution (it is involved in some calculations for rescaling the region), so the code would be like:

Code:
                fn test_render = (
                	vr = renderers.current
                	curr_wd = 2000
                	curr_ht = 2000
                	renderWidth = curr_wd
                	renderHeight = curr_wd
                	vr.output_width = 2000
                	vr.output_height = 2000
                	vr.output_regxmin = 0
                	vr.output_regymin = 0
                	vr.output_regxmax = 1000
                	vr.output_regymax = 1000
                	max quick render
                )
                We might have to fix this so that it is not needed when the resolution is not taken from 3ds Max, but I have to think about it a bit.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                Last edited by vlado; 09-08-2014, 09:58 AM.

Comment

Actually it looks like the region parameters are always relative to the 3ds Max resolution, so alternatively, the code could look like this:
                  Code:
                  fn test_render = (
                  	vr = renderers.current
                  	curr_wd = 2000
                  	curr_ht = 2000
                  	vr.output_width = 2000
                  	vr.output_height = 2000
                  	vr.output_regxmin = 0
                  	vr.output_regymin = 0
                  	vr.output_regxmax = renderWidth/2
                  	vr.output_regymax = renderHeight/2
                  	max quick render
                  )
                  Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

Yes I had it working fine when I was set the blow up parameter in max, it didn't have to be the same dimensions, as long as the dimensions are proportional. In the end I probably won't use this technique as there are more tools for utilising exr files than last time I tried with 1.5

Comment

Working...
                    X