Seams problem with Displacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seams problem with Displacement

I have always problems with seams when I use displacement. I tried a lot of different settings but I can't get rid of the seam.
    Is there a workaround?

Click image for larger version

Name:	displ_prob_v01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	880883

What kind of displacement are you using (just regular displacement along the normal, or 3D displacement)? Which program did you use for the displacement map?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

I use 2d displacement but I also tried 3d displacement and had the same problem. The textures work fine without seams they are painted in Mari and the displacementmap is made in Zbrush.
      I can upload the displacement map if it helps?

Comment

Yes, please if you can get me the model and the displacement maps to vlado@chaosgroup.com it will be very very helpful. One of the developers is looking into this right now, so it will be a very good test.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

Are there any news to this problem?

Comment

Looks to me like the old problem of seams not lining up in unwrap...unless you use Ptex or unwrap your model so all seams form straight lines, you will always see seams:

http://polygonspixelsandpaint.tumblr...st/19733351349

At least that´s what I found out and believe me, I´ve been looking for a long time to find an "easy" solution...
            Last edited by ben_hamburg; 23-10-2014, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Thank you ben this is good to know!

But this seams to be a bug.

Comment

Ideally this should be solved by the renderer, yes. Developing a solution will take a while though - this is not an easy "fix"

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

Ha, glad to hear you see it like that! Because I always thought that was just an inherent mapping problem and thus ADSK´s problem and we all know how fast they are with providing solutions.... I would indeed prefer to get a solution from the rendering side...
                  I´ve struggled so often with this problem, that I´m using procedural maps instead of painted ones for displacement whenever possible....

Comment

Thank you for looking in to it!

Comment

Working...
                    X