• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progressive distributed rendering dropping CPU to 0%

Hi,

I got a rather nasty problem here.

Situation:
    We're trying to render a very complex image here with two machines.
    - 4500x4500 pixels
    - heavy geometry (all VRayProxies, scene consumes about 25GB RAM on the master machine with VFB, and about 10GB on the slave machine with no VFB)
    - practially the whole scene consists of reflective and refractive materials (ice, glass)

Data:
    3ds Max Design 2014 (16.0 SP3)
    VRay 3.00.08
    Log: http://pastebin.com/dXDHAJFs (notice time difference between line 1891/1892 to 1893, i presume it dropped to 0% there, was definitely at 100% before pulling out the slave machine)
    Scene File: Will be sent via email as soon as its uploaded.

Problem:
    When rendering distributed progressive and pulling out the slave via the Exit RC Menu on the Spawner Icon in the task bar(a workstation) to continue normal work, the host machine continues to render for some minutes but then after recognizing the missing slave instead of continuing rendering, it just drops to 0% CPU and does not continue rendering, but also not saying its finished. The max render report window stays open (and seems to refresh every second, but nothing changes, just a flicker) and you really only know its not doing anything because of the 0% CPU.

Steps to reproduce:
    1) Open scene, adjust DR settings accordingly to contain an available slave in your network
    2) Start rendering the image using DR
    3) Not sure if it matters at which point you do it (before/after interpolation map prepass): Exit the render slave to let the host continue to render alone
    4) Observe CPU dropping to 0% after some time of the slave not being available anymore

I managed to reproduce the issue two times, each time after one night of rendering the image with both machines. Much time wasted .

Let me know if you need any further information.
    Last edited by Art48; 30-10-2014, 05:47 AM. Reason: 3ds max version 2014, not 2015.
    Software:
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
    3ds Max 2016 SP4
    V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
    Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.40 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 (4096MB RAM)
    64GB RAM

DxDiag

Thanks for the report; this is an issue indeed - the progressive sampler doesn't have a recovery mechanism like the bucket renderer in case a render host fails to send back its data.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Alright, that's very unfortunate and kind of a killer argument for me for using the (otherwise awesome) progressive sampler. For me the real deal is letting a render run for whatever long I see fit, refining certain regions as needed et cetera.
      Is this intended to be fixed soon?

Also, is there a page where I can reed of such "known issues" to prevent losing days of time to such things?
      Software:
      3ds Max 2016 SP4
      V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
      64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Originally posted by Art48 View Post
        Alright, that's very unfortunate and kind of a killer argument for me for using the (otherwise awesome) progressive sampler. For me the real deal is letting a render run for whatever long I see fit, refining certain regions as needed et cetera. Is this intended to be fixed soon?
        It will be fixed but I don't yet have a time frame for this unfortunately.

Also, is there a page where I can reed of such "known issues" to prevent losing days of time to such things?
        Well, I didn't realize it until you mentioned it So it was not really known (to me at least). I will make a note to include it in the documentation.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

Oh, then I misunderstood you, I thought this was a know issue Anyways, a fix would be much appreciated.
          Is the documentation generally the place to look for known issues (I guess down at the comments section?)?
          Software:
          3ds Max 2016 SP4
          V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
          64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

The documentation do not have information about known issues, there is information about known limitations however.
            If you are wondering if something is an issue, bug or something else you can always open a new threads into our forums or write to support@chaosgroup.com
            Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
            Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Originally posted by Art48 View Post
              Oh, then I misunderstood you, I thought this was a know issue Anyways, a fix would be much appreciated.
              Is the documentation generally the place to look for known issues (I guess down at the comments section?)?
              We usually put a warning box in the docs when some problem with a particular feature can be expected, like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	warning_box.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	290.8 KB
ID:	854506

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Alright, that's fine. ALthough a place where all such known issues/limitations are displayed would be nice. Anyways this is sufficient for now I guess Many thanks!
                Software:
                3ds Max 2016 SP4
                V-Ray Adv 3.60.04

Hardware:
                64GB RAM

DxDiag

Comment

Same here!

Comment