Hi,

I have a very bizarre problem...

See below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	5W6UssQ.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	881379

I have an extremely simple scene - when rendered locally the teapot reflects in a certain location on a glass object, but when rendered with the rendernodes only, the teapot appears shifted to one side on the glass object. This is a huge problem because the buckets don't match up when using DBR and the locally-rendered image should be the correct one, I would guess?

Same versions of max, vray 3.10.03 etc. on all machines. Also they are all Intel machines, i7s.

Any ideas?

This is most strange....!

Thank you,
    Last edited by alexyork; 26-02-2015, 07:06 AM.
    Alex York
    Founder of Atelier York - Bespoke Architectural Visualisation
    www.atelieryork.co.uk

I can also confirm that the issue is not material-related. I created a fresh simple 100% reflective mirror and the teapot still shifts in the reflection on my render nodes, but stays in place on the localhost

I have realised that my two rendernodes are running windows 8.1 64-bit but my localhost is running windows 7 pro 64-bit. Could this make any difference? Again, same versions of max and vray across them all.

I'm going to completely uninstall vray from the two nodes and re-install fresh.
    Alex York
    www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

I'm investigating if this is a scene scale/units issue, and then maybe a camera issue.
      Alex York
      www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Problem SOLVED!

I reinstalled vray 3.10.03 on my local workstation and now it renders the same as the rendernodes.

This is very, very weird indeed.... I guess something went a little wrong yesterday when I installed .03 and caused this error.

This is a weird bug.

Chaos, if you'd like the file to see if there's a bug here let me know.
        Alex York
        www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Hi,

That was quick update, I just looked at images for your issue.
          It might be due to different versions, did you get any warnings or errors when you installed 3.10.03 for the first time on the workstation?
          You can send us the file for test in order to be sure that we don't miss a bug here.
          Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
          Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by tashko.zashev View Post
            Hi,

That was quick update, I just looked at images for your issue.
            It might be due to different versions, did you get any warnings or errors when you installed 3.10.03 for the first time on the workstation?
            You can send us the file for test in order to be sure that we don't miss a bug here.
            I got no errors at all when installing on any of the machines including the local workstation, no. That's the weird thing.

What's the best email for you? I will send it over.
            Alex York
            www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

You can use the support mail : support@chaosgroup.com

Comment

You can use the support mail : support@chaosgroup.com
                Thanks Tashko - sent you an email.
                Alex York
                www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by alexyork View Post
                  Thanks Tashko - sent you an email.
                  Thank you, I will post the results here soon.

Comment

I'm not able to reproduce it here even if I use mixed versions of V-Ray.
                    However, I found that the issue is related to the glass Shell modifier. Here are the render results with and without modifiers:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-27 11_45_01}.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	855447

For some reason the glass has been rendered without "Shell" on the main workstation.

Comment

I'm not able to reproduce it here even if I use mixed versions of V-Ray.
                      However, I found that the issue is related to the glass Shell modifier. Here are the render results with and without modifiers:
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]23096[/ATTACH]

For some reason the glass has been rendered without "Shell" on the main workstation.
                      This is very interesting.... I wonder why reinstalling vray on the workstation fixed the issue, if the issue was related to the shell modifier?

I'm thinking that actually reinstalling vray didn't really change anything, but reloading max for a new session somehow solved the shell issue.
                      Alex York
                      www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by alexyork View Post
                        This is very interesting.... I wonder why reinstalling vray on the workstation fixed the issue, if the issue was related to the shell modifier?

I'm thinking that actually reinstalling vray didn't really change anything, but reloading max for a new session somehow solved the shell issue.
                        It's really weird. Something have fixed the issue, but unfortunately we have to find a way to replicate it again in order to troubleshoot further.
                        If you manage to find something or it happens again, please let us know.

Comment

It's really weird. Something have fixed the issue, but unfortunately we have to find a way to replicate it again in order to troubleshoot further.
                          If you manage to find something or it happens again, please let us know.
                          I will keep an eye out for you. I think it's going to be something regarding the shell mod, as you say, and how max behaves between restarts. Thanks for your help.
                          Alex York
                          www.atelieryork.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                          X