No announcement yet.

VrayCurvature Feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, and I'd be fine if this were added as a mode in the VrayDirt map. Or adding features to the VrayCurvature shader. Whatever is easier for the programmer.

- Neil

Comment

As far as speed is concerned, for the patch next week, the texture will be quite a bit faster.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
        As far as speed is concerned, for the patch next week, the texture will be quite a bit faster.
        That's good to hear. The biggest issue I believe is the need of a gain and a kfactor, which will let us get a pattern similar to the other two examples. 3 colors for concave, convex and flat would be nice too, although I believe those may be achievable by running the map through an output curve. I'll test it once we get those other two parameters. Feel free to pass your developer my name if he wants a copy of my test scene to play with.

- Neil

Comment

So did some more poking, and the issues may actually be bugs as opposed to limited features. Take a peak at this. The surfaces produce areas that are black when they are flat (and should be grey), and areas that are convex should be white but are still grey. Any idea what might be going on?

Click image for larger version

Name:	bug1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	516.0 KB
ID:	856186

- Neil

Comment

There is possibility to transfer curvature to vertex color using MCG:
            http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/chris...creation-graph

Here is comparison of MCG and Vray curvature:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	MCG curvature.JPG
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	856222 Click image for larger version

Name:	Vray curvature.JPG
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	856221

I think there is something wrong with Vray curvature map.
            Regardless of value of "Sample spread", I get results which are just wrong in my opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by Mnietek2707 View Post
              I think there is something wrong with Vray curvature map. Regardless of value of "Sample spread", I get results which are just wrong in my opinion...
              The result is correct for the way the shader is coded to work (by shooting feeler rays around the shading point). Whether this works as you expect or not is a different matter; for the moment there are no plans to change it.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Can you give me a use case for the current VrayCurvature shader? I'm not sure under what conditions would one use it.

To get a curvature shader that produces the expected results, would it be easier to enhance the current one (like you mentioned earlier in the thread) or setup a wish for a brand new vrayCurvature shader?

- Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Mnietek2707 View Post
                  Here is comparison of MCG and Vray curvature:
                  Yup, the vraycurvature shader should be producing red at the concave parts and it isn't. Good test.

- Neil

Comment

Well, I will probably end up hiding it altogether... or renaming it to something different. Seeing as how there are a few other and better options, it probably doesn't make much sense to spend efforts on it. Now I'm sorry we added it at all, but mistakes happen

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    Last edited by vlado; 02-06-2015, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Well, there really is only one other full option which is Boomerlab's Curvemap.

The MCG version bakes to vertex colors only, so its only useful if you have tons of geometry. The same with my SoulburnScript, it also bakes to vertex colors.

I'd still love to see a curvaturemap native in vray, as there's no free plugin that does the same thing, and its such a fundamental map to texturing things. Do you think it would take a ton of development time to modify the current curvemap to produce the expected results?

- Neil

Comment

Originally posted by soulburn3d View Post
                        Do you think it would take a ton of development time to modify the current curvemap to produce the expected results?
                        I don't know for sure; it looks like it might take more effort than I'm willing to put into it. I need to think it through it a bit more carefully. Adding colors and remapping parameters is easy, but the basic fundamental algorithm is based on raytracing which apparently has some drawbacks.

Best regards,
                        Vlado
                        Last edited by vlado; 02-06-2015, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                          but the basic fundamental algorithm is based on raytracing which apparently has some drawbacks.
                          Gotcha. Well hopefully then the algorithm is fine and just has a bug or two, so you won't have to completely throw away the technique. Thanks for looking into this, we really appreciate it.

- Neil

Comment

Hi Vlado,
                            I read the whole thread and I have a question regarding the curvature map. If there are plans for removing it, is it safe to use it in production? What happens to materials using this map if in a future update it's removed?

I'd also like to report a bug. When I use this map in a mask slot of the Composite map, Max crashes immediately after render.
                            Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1 ( 6.20.06 )
                            AMD Ryzen 7950X 16-core | 64GB DDR5 RAM 6400 Mbps | MSI GeForce RTX 3090 Suprim X 24GB (rendering) | GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE 11GB (display) | GPU Driver 546.01 | NVMe SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | Win 10 Pro x64 22H2

Comment

The composite thing is fixed already, I believe, if you download the 3.20.02 update from the website.

As for the future of the map, if we decide to remove it, it will still be available as a separate download.

Best regards,
                              Vlado

Comment

Hi Vlado,

Are there any updates on whether the curvature map is being updated, It would be much better than downloading a different plugin or baking to vertex colours as those both have drawbacks.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                                X