Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRay Blend and masks

Hello,

There is a problem I'm facing regularly and that, in my opinion, shouldn't happen.
    For years, I've taken the habit to use only one bitmap, for RGB data and Alpha, let's say a TIF file. This way, when I need to use it as a mask, I simply switch Mono Channel Output to Alpha, thus using the bitmap as a "pure" mask. This doesn't work with VRay Blend, in Blend Amount slot: one has to put there a separated mask file ... not handy if you ask me all the more that this method works a expected everywhere else in 3dsmax.

Any chance to get this solved, please ?

Thanks in advance,

Regards.
    Last edited by NicoC; 03-09-2015, 02:00 AM.
    Nicolas Caplat
    www.intangibles.fr

No one for this one ?
    Nicolas Caplat
    www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Hi Nicolas,

Currently the V-Ray blend mask slot uses the bitmap image RGB channel and the Mono channel output is ignored. I will see if we can fix this.
      Meanwhile you can still use the same Tiff file but loaded from our V-Ray HDRI. Here is an example:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-09-04 11_53_57}.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	858258
      Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
      Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your answer, and for the workaround as well.
        To be honest, I'd rather get the current limitation solved, but I guess we can use VRay HDRI map meanwhile.

Thanks again,

Regards.
        Nicolas Caplat
        www.intangibles.fr

Comment

I can't really solve this. The blend amount is a color, not a single number, so using the Mono output makes no sense.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Edit: Just saw that Vlado has already replied
            Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
            Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
              The blend amount is a color, not a single number, so using the Mono output makes no sense.
              Vlado
              Well, yes and no
              If we consider Blend Amount as a mask, it should handle Mono Channel Output (ie Alpha channel) properly. 3dsmax's Blend material's Mask slot does.
              While I understand what you mean, I don't agree
              Nicolas Caplat
              www.intangibles.fr

Comment

We could add an option to treat the maps as mono maps, but I don't see much point really... I'm open to persuasion though

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

ahahah
                  To be honest, I won't harrass you with that - I was more surprised by this limitation than really stucked because of it. The fact is that we need VRay Blend material very very often, and I want a workflow as smooth as possible with it.
                  Now that I have at least 2 workarounds, it's ok. If you ask me, I'd rather you guys work on more important stuff

By the way, little question, about VRay Blend again: shouldn't the Blend Amount color slot be ignored as long as we put a map in Blend Amount slot ? maybe I misunderstand something, but isn't that a bit confusing to get the color slot, the map slot and the spinner ? don't get me wrong, but since we use this material more and more often, I want to be sure we use it 100% properly :P

Thanks anyway for the feedback.

Cheers.
                  Nicolas Caplat
                  www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Working...
                  X