X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting max16 physical camera to max14 Vray camera/standard camera

Hi everyone,

I have run into an annoying problem.

The "new and improved" camera in max2016, is causing me a headache. I have a camera animation done in max2016 using the new camera that I somehow have to try and convert into a max 2014 scene.

Converting is easy, save as.... done... yet the camera completely breaks as max 2014 doesn't recognize the camera. (I also got 2-3 other vray related dll errors, sorry can't remember the exact names right now).

So my question is.. anyone know of an easy way to convert this camera? script to rip the info and create a new one with that info?

Thanks guys!

Edit: I have attached the vray errors I get when trying to open a "save as 2014" file with a max16 physical camera in it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	max16_to_14_vray_error.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	882953
    Last edited by thomaskc; 20-10-2015, 05:58 PM.

So it looks like I can create a new vrayPhys Camera, put in the same lens values, and link it to the helper 16 creates after given those errors. Animation seems to stay intact as well.

Comment

Just remember, you can't use the EXCACT same values for the camera. The new 2016 camera has a slightly brighter exposure. That is because the new one use a formula for the ISO provided by Kodak, and the older traditional VRayCam use an ISO formula from the ISO standard.
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

Interesting, thanks for that.

I am also finding that it's painful when you are doing continues animation on the camera, as if you do as I suggested, all you are doing is linking the new camera to an existing dummy, but if you need to animate the fov and other things, or adjust existing fov changes.. it because really fiddly. Still wish there was a way to go backwards.

Comment

So I have managed to save my scene out and it's running in max14, camera keys have been copied across to an "old" VrayPhysical Camera.

I still have the problem of the following vray files from 16, missing and giving me an error when I open the 2014 scene. I worry that this will cause a shit storm when I eventually have to render this project?

Name:	max16_to_14_vray_error2.JPG
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	858655

Any help on how to get rid of these would be amazing!

I get these errors when I open the scene, and also if I try to merge everything in the scene into a fresh clean scene.

Comment

If you intent to work on both platforms 2016 and 2014 it would be better to use VRayPhysical Camera instead 3DSmax Physical Camera.
            Vray Physical Camera in Max 2016 is accessible via the following maxscript-command:
            Code:
            vrayCreateVRayPhysicalCamera()
            I don't think that there is out of the box way to convert 3DSMax Physical Camera to V-Ray Physical Camera but what you can do is to align and parent V-Ray Camera(and target) to Max Camera(target) and then save the file in version 2014. Then when you open that file in Max 2014 you will still get the same error but the V-Ray Camera will still work as expected since Physical Camera nodes will be replaced by dummies and their animation will be kept.

Here is a quick example(please note that the Exposure Control is also changed to Vray):
            2016:_________ 2014(rendered in Max 2015)

Name:	Screenshot-17-59-41.png
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	858671Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-18-01-22.png
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	858672

scene 2016: http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...to_vraycam.max
            scene 2014: http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...aycam_2014.max
            Last edited by svetlozar.draganov; 22-10-2015, 08:06 AM.
            Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
            Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
              That is because the new one use a formula for the ISO provided by Kodak, and the older traditional VRayCam use an ISO formula from the ISO standard.
              Thanks Morne, nice to know
              Jez

------------------------------------
              3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
              Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
              ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

Originally posted by JezUK View Post
                Thanks Morne, nice to know
                Yes Morne, nice one!
                Where did you get info btw?

Stan
                3LP Team

Comment

Originally posted by 3LP View Post
                  Where did you get info btw?
                  It was a support request and that was the answer I got from ChaosGroup Support
                  Kind Regards,
                  Morne

Comment

Nice, behind the scene info heum

Well done

Stan
                    3LP Team

Comment

Originally posted by svetlozar.draganov View Post
                      If you intent to work on both platforms 2016 and 2014 it would be better to use VRayPhysical Camera instead 3DSmax Physical Camera.
                      Vray Physical Camera in Max 2016 is accessible via the following maxscript-command:
                      Code:
                      vrayCreateVRayPhysicalCamera()
                      I don't think that there is out of the box way to convert 3DSMax Physical Camera to V-Ray Physical Camera but what you can do is to align and parent V-Ray Camera(and target) to Max Camera(target) and then save the file in version 2014. Then when you open that file in Max 2014 you will still get the same error but the V-Ray Camera will still work as expected since Physical Camera nodes will be replaced by dummies and their animation will be kept.

Here is a quick example(please note that the Exposure Control is also changed to Vray):
                      2016:_________ 2014(rendered in Max 2015)
                      [ATTACH=CONFIG]26584[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]26585[/ATTACH]

scene 2016: http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...to_vraycam.max
                      scene 2014: http://ftp.chaosgroup.com/support/sc...aycam_2014.max
                      Thank you for the reply, this is the method I have resorted to, and even gone further and actually copied the animation from the max16 camera to a new vray camera in 14, because the animation isn't final yet.

Had I planned to work in both I totally would have avoided the new max16 camera, but we seem to have a lot of issues with max16 and our renderfarm currently so I am trying to revert back to 14 so I don't run into problems further down the track.

I am how ever concerned that the dll errors I get when opening my scene in 14 will cause render issues on the farm?

Comment

What sort of issues do you have with the network rendering. Are they camera related?
                        I am how ever concerned that the dll errors I get when opening my scene in 14 will cause render issues on the farm?
                        This will depend on the render manager, some of them have an option to ignore error messages.
                        Last edited by Zdravko.Keremidchiev; 27-10-2015, 06:34 AM.
                        Zdravko Keremidchiev | chaos.com
                        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
                          Just remember, you can't use the EXCACT same values for the camera. The new 2016 camera has a slightly brighter exposure. That is because the new one use a formula for the ISO provided by Kodak, and the older traditional VRayCam use an ISO formula from the ISO standard.
                          Seriously? Any more information on that? Why don't they communicate this?
                          A.

---------------------
                          www.digitaltwins.be

Comment

Originally posted by Vizioen View Post
                            Why don't they communicate this?
                            Probably because its not the same thing. If you add a vraycam in 2016 using maxscript, then that cam and the one in previous versions, will be the same.
                            The physical camera is "new" and "improves" on the old standard vrayphyscam. (old paradox, how can something be both new and improved hehe)
                            Kind Regards,
                            Morne

Comment

Hi guys,

One question: If we have a vrayPhysicalCam from an older scene and want to convert to the new Physical Max Camera,
                              Is it necessary to use the Exposure Control under Environment and Effects? There is a new Physical Camera Exposure here and I am a bit puzzled about this.
                              for my blog and tutorials:
                              www.alfasmyrna.com

Comment

Working...
                              X