Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with displaying of VRayOverrideMtl

This is my first post on this Forum from long, long time, then Hello to

In Max2015/Vray and earlier versions, when was defined VRayOverrideMtl, display of material was changed from Base material diffuse map (eg. wood parquet on the floor - screen1) to defined solid diffuse colour - screen2 (in this example dark red-brown). To get again preview of diffuse map was necessary only to reload "Shaded/Materials/Realistic materials with maps" - and texture of wood parquert was visible on preview again.

In Max2016/Vray when is defined VRayOverrideMtl, preview of object is gray - screen3 - any reloading to get back texture preview of VRayOverrideMtl Base is not working. And here is question: how to make visible textures on objects with VRayOverrideMtl used on?

Best Regards - goeher
    Attached Files

I have a script that usally sorts this for me across the entire scene, but it's not working for the override.
    As a work around just go one level into the override (so that you see your wood vraymtl) and just click on the button in material edirot to show in viewport (the little square checkerboard icon with a light bulb over its corner). Then just click the round icon with an up arrow over it to go back up to the parent, in this case the parent is the override
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

Thank You Morné for the reply. Unfortunately this receipt is not giving me any result... The floor in the viewport still stay gray, without visible texture... Maybe some other conception to solve?

Comment

Have you tried "Shaded materials with maps" option?
        Zdravko Keremidchiev | chaos.com
        Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Yes, in result I am getting display with flat diffuse colurs of base material, but diffuse textures still are not dispalyed.
          In screen4 shaded display of scene. In screen5 shaded display of scene after define of OverrideMtl - diffuse flat colours, but no textures... Test with reload by "Realistic materials with maps" )all OverrideMtl-s are going to be grey. Try with "Shaded materials with maps" is giving flat diffuse colours.
          In older versions (2015 and earlier) "Realistic materials with maps" reload was giving in the result visible diffuse textures...

Click image for larger version

Name:	screen4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	858951 Click image for larger version

Name:	screen5.jpg
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	858952

goeher
          Last edited by goeher; 19-11-2015, 08:39 AM. Reason: images...

Comment

We are not able to reproduce that behavior. Which V-Ray version is this? Could you please send us or attach an example scene?
            Zdravko Keremidchiev | chaos.com

Comment

Hi Zdravko,

In attachement zipped robo2016.max scene (V-Ray 3.20.03) and preview of scene max2016 - visible on additional screen is:
              on the right: box with no-overrided material (visible used texture) AND on the left: box with overrided material - visible violet flat diffuse color, not visible texture.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5a...ew?usp=sharing

Name:	max2016_vray3-20-03.jpg
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	858959

Second attachement is zipped robo2015.max (to be oppened in max2015) (V-Ray 3.20.02) and preview of scene max2015 - visible on screen is:
              on the right: box with no-overrided material AND on the left: box with overrided material - on both boxes visible texture...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5a...ew?usp=sharing

Name:	max2015_vray3-20-02.jpg
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	858960

Best Regards
              goeher

Comment

Hi,

I just checked your scene (Max 2016/V-Ray 3.20.03) and the UV coordinates are different for Box 1-left and Box 2 - right. This is for file robo2016.max.

Name:	2015-11-25 17_41_22}.png
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	859011
                Try to apply one UVW Map modifier in Box mode and then refresh the viewport mapping for that material using "Show Shaded material in Viewport"
                Let me know if this works for you.
                Tashko Zashev | chaos.com

Comment

Hi Tashko,

No, this not giving any result... Important - procedure of making this sample scene was:

1. I made a box "Right", then I converted it to poly,
                  2. I assigned a simple VRayMtl (named: simple base material (no override))with texture to this box,
                  3. I mapped this box with UVW map (box) - box "Right" was finished

4. I duplicated box "Right" as box "Left"
                  5. I duplicated a simple VRayMtl from p.2 with changed name (name changed to: simple base material) and I assigned this to box "Left"
                  6. I changed this material to VRayOverrideMtl and added some GI material

There was not any change to UV coordinates from box "Left" to "Right" - if some change in UV coordinates was generated - change had to occur at the stage of conversion from plain VRayMtl to complex VRayOverrideMtl... !!!
                  A proof for this concept is test:

When You opening my robo2015.max test file in 2015 program, all is displaying correct, yes?
                  Now please open this same file named robo2015.max in 2016 program - the texture on "Left"-overrided box is not displaying...

In my opinion probably that mean: in Max2016 using of VRayOverrideMtl totally destroy used for display in viewport UV coordinates of object with this material assigned. Difficult is, that object is not displaying correctly, but in render is looking correct... This is strange... I don't understand this...

Maybe it would be not so important, but I must to import to Max very complicated scenes exported from Arcon program (in *.3ds fromat with thousands of objects) and I really need right preview in viewport after re-defintion of "a few" materials to Override... I hope, You will find, where is the problem...

Best Regards
                  goeher

Comment

Yes, confirm that the scene robot2015 opens in Max 2016 without viewport preview for this material/map but when I changed the map viewport mode to shaded instead of realistic I got this result:

Name:	2015-11-26 14_17_21}.png
Size:	407.0 KB
ID:	859024

I'm attaching the max file as well, so please try it in your environment.
                    robo2015_1.zip

Waiting for your feedback.

Comment

This is strange... When I oppened sended by You file in my Max2016, previwe in viewport was correct, but when I was making on "Left" box again command Materials/Shaded Materials with Maps it was going again to "violet" preview without texture... Making on this Realistic Materials with Maps is giving only this change, that box is going to be grey... There is no way to get back correct display.

Comment

Very strange indeed, what viewport driver do you use in Max 2016? It should be Nitrous (Direct3d 11) by default.

Comment

Just like that... It is Nitrous:

Name:	screen6.jpg
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	859027

Comment

We can have an issue here because the viewport shading with this setup definitely works better in 3DS Max 2015, however, I will do some more tests.

but when I was making on "Left" box again command Materials/Shaded Materials with Maps it was going again to "violet" preview without texture...
                            It is the same here:

Name:	2015-11-27 10_01_19}.png
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	859052

Name:	2015-11-27 10_01_35}.png
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	859053
                            but what i did then is to change the shading (not realistic) from the materials:

Name:	2015-11-27 10_01_47}.png
Size:	242.2 KB
ID:	859054
                            Last edited by tashko.zashev; 30-11-2015, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Thank You, Tashko for this reply. I hope You will get a success soon to solve this problem

Comment

Working...
                              X