Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vraymetaball with procedural map is -really- slow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vraymetaball with procedural map is -really- slow.

as title. im trying to do some procedural geometry, and while rendertimes are barely acceptable with just the default scene lights, no shadows, and a bare metaball object, the moment procedural maps and/or shadowcasting is involved, this slow down enormously. enabling gi is a real killer, with the lightcache in particular taking 20+minutes on a simple scene with a single metaball object and vray sun/sky.

cache seems to make very little (any?) difference

a quick example:

simple metaball object, with domelight and vraysun, no gi. 720p, 3930k @4.6 ghz. :

no procedural map: est 1 hr

with procedural map: est: 5 hrs +

is it just inevitably slow? considering id need to crank up (down) the step length by a factor of 10 to get a really clean result, with the associated balooning of rendertime, its not really useful.
    Last edited by super gnu; 25-11-2015, 04:30 PM.

Have you tried enabling the cache setting?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

yes i did.. didnt seem to help... in fact i left this attached render going last night (with caching enabled) at 1080 p with a slightly finer step length, and a noise thresh. of .007

still going this morning with an eta of 64 hours.. looks quite clean but still, even 7 hrs is a vastly unacceptable rendertime.

Click image for larger version

Name:	metaball slow.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	508.8 KB
ID:	859020

Comment

Can you post that scene? There are definitely things that we can do to optimize the calculations.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

sure can.. here you go:

metaball.zip

id love it if this was fast and effective, as its really the only way to currently generate objects like this in vray, and its cumbersome enough as it is, what with having to worry about particle systems too.

my dream is to have something like a displacement modifier (vrayvolumetricmesh?) , applied directly to a source mesh.. it makes the mesh non-renderable, and directly fills the volume with an iso-mesh that can be modified with procedural textures or subtractive/additive geometry. would make nice organic rock/bread/sponge etc far easier.

Comment

It's possible certainly; from a workflow perspective would definitely be better.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

conversation about metaballs continued here:

http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthr...touille)/page4

Comment

Working...
              X