Rendertime boolean with VRayClipper limitations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rendertime boolean with VRayClipper limitations

I have a project where I want to animate a Boolean into an industrial product, where the parts are made from different materials. I was hoping to use the updated VRayClipper, but seem to have run into a limitation, or possibly a bug?

I made an object that will be used as the cutter, and animate it into position so the product will be cut open to view the innards over a given time period. We don't want to show the cutaway as one color, as you can't tell where the parts separate anymore on the inside. I'd like each cut away part to reflect how each of those would look on the inside if you were to truly do a cutaway of them (a brass part would have a brass cutaway, red painted steel part would have a steel cutaway, aluminum would be aluminum, etc...) So I make a VRayClipper for each material that will get cut, select the exclude list, set it to include, and select all the parts for that material. Uncheck "Replace mesh with clipper" on each VRayClipper, then select the cutter object on each one. All the objects get cut, but there is no surface being created on the cut, everything is hollow. I disable all of the VRayClippers but one, and it works fine.

I'm assuming that this doesn't work because the VRayClipper object is instancing my cutting object instead of referencing it? So I tried making a copy of the cutting object for each material. This doesn't work either as it just shows a noisy mess where the cutting object is. I've even tried offsetting the cutter objects so there is no coincidental faces, and that works sometimes, but most of the time it doesn't. Just changing a frame and a face will disappear.

Is there some trick to get the VRayClipper to work the way I want it too? Or is this a limitation that I'm going to have to live with?

Hello,

Can you use only one VRayClipper with only one cutting object and set the "Use object material" option - with it the clipper will try to use the material of each object it cuts as you describe it

Best regards,
    Yavor
    Yavor Rubenov
    V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

Ok, I see what I have to do now. I had one multi-sub material for the entire product, basically a collection of materials used with all the parts the company makes. When I tried that method before it would only assign one material. In order to use that method I have to make separate Multi-sub materials for each type of cutaway material with the cutaway material always keeping the same Mat ID. So far it seems to be working. Except for the artifacts show up where the faces overlap the geometry on the inside. But that was warned about in the documentation and I will have to scale/move things around to limit that. Hopefully that gets fixed in a future update. I was experimenting with the distance texture as a mask in a vray blend for each material being cutaway, which worked, but takes awhile to set up and probably would end up with render artifacts.

Comment

Hello,

Glad that you found a workaround. Unfortunately it is not easy to determine the correct face ID when clipping so that multi-sub works.

About the artifacts - it would be best if you could share the scene (or part of it) so that we can check if anything can be done automatically without scaling/moving.

Best regards,
        Yavor
        Yavor Rubenov
        V-Ray for 3ds Max developer

Comment

I think I found the issue with the artifacts I was having. The Secondary bias was set to .001. When set to 0.0, from what I can tell so far without rendering frames, the artifacts are gone. With it set to .001 or higher, it would create lines where the surface of the cutter would intersect with objects not being cut. Render time went down a couple seconds as well with it at 0.0.

Comment

Glad to hear you figured it out. This might be a bug but it might be a limitation as well, it would be nice if you could send us the scene for investigation.
            When Secondary Rays Bias option is different than zero Primary and Secondary Rays sees the surface with a little offset which usually resolves overlapping-faces artifacts but might be an issue for the Clipper.
            Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
            Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Sorry about the delay, got busy. Who should I send the file to? support@chaosgroup.com, or someone specific?

Comment

Originally posted by Badbullet View Post
                Sorry about the delay, got busy. Who should I send the file to? support@chaosgroup.com, or someone specific?
                support@ should be fine.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
                X