LC issues in 3.3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LC issues in 3.3?

What has changed for LC in 3.3 since 3.2? I'm convinced something broke.

I now have ANOTHER scene (with xrefs etc), that's sitting for 13 minutes hovering on 10% CPU usage and the memory usage is climbing, but nothing is happening. The estimated time reads as 0
    Then suddenly at 22GB RAM usage after 13 minutes everything kicks in and CPU is at 100% After another minute only then estimate LC kicks in and then it eventually takes 18 minutes in total for LC (at 720p)
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Are you using DR?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

No it's switched off for this scene (and for the other one in my other thread)
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

possibly a networked, huge proxy?
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

I'm removing the XREFs one by one to see if it helps
          Kind Regards,
          Morne

Comment

Then it's probably proxies or textures loading, or displacement/fur being generated.

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

There's no proxies, displacement or fur in the scene
              There's about 10 XREFS, but by the time LC starts, those have already been loaded.

There's a lot of textures, They're not pathed correctly, but they are FOUND. There's about 8 missing textures. But I've had cases like that before and it wasn't an issue before with LC
              Kind Regards,
              Morne

Comment

Morne, does the scene render fast if you put a grey override on it?
                Dmitry Vinnik
                Silhouette Images Inc.
                ShowReel:
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid Angel View Post
                  Hmmm good point. Will try that after the current render and let you know
                  Kind Regards,
                  Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid Angel View Post
                    Yes it does. OK well I will have to go into each XREF, repath, strip the missing jpgs and check again without override. Will let you know shortly...
                    Kind Regards,
                    Morne

Comment

OK upgraded to 3.4
                      repathed scene and all xrefs and their maps (and stripped the missing maps)
                      changed all normal maps in the bump, to vraynormal maps
                      changed all Architectural materials to VRay
                      changed all Arch&Design materials to VRay

So far smooth sailing
                      Kind Regards,
                      Morne

Comment

Ok then, let us know if there are other issues.

Best regards,
                        Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                          Ok then, let us know if there are other issues.

Best regards,
                          Vlado
                          LC now goes very quick as expected.
                          There are also a ton of standard spot lights and standard materials too many to convert manually. I can't use the VRay scene converter because that is useless for converting standard see-through materials to VRay Materials. But I'm having a hard time to render a 10K+ image without it taking 2 weeks (and still very noisy)
                          Kind Regards,
                          Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
                            But I'm having a hard time to render a 10K+ image without it taking 2 weeks (and still very noisy)
                            As always, I'm interested in looking into any scenes that are giving you trouble. Even if I don't have a solution right away, they influence where we spend our development efforts for future versions.

With that said, the Standard materials do slow things down a lot. Perhaps there's a way to convert them in a meaningful way to V-Ray materials, but I need some examples.

Best regards,
                            Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                              As always, I'm interested in looking into any scenes that are giving you trouble. Even if I don't have a solution right away, they influence where we spend our development efforts for future versions.

With that said, the Standard materials do slow things down a lot. Perhaps there's a way to convert them in a meaningful way to V-Ray materials, but I need some examples.

Best regards,
                              Vlado
                              The scene is busy rendering with settings that was typical for 1.5 and it is rendering pretty fast. It's the only way I can get it to render in a meaningful time. For the standard materials, just map the opacity spinner of standard material (not the opacity map, but the opacity setting) to the refraction color of vray. So if the standard material has an opacity of 50, then the refraction colour of vray would be 128,128,128 and so on. It's just so that we do a MASSIVE scene conversion, we can convert one shot and get a half decent render, without having to manually go and try and find where there's suppose to be transparent objects like bottles, glasses, windows etc

For the current scene, I will check with the client if I can send it over, but there's not a good chance of that...
                              Kind Regards,
                              Morne

Comment

Working...
                              X