VRMat linux paths vs windows paths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VRMat linux paths vs windows paths

So since the textures used by vrmats doesnt show up in asset tracker, I can use a text editor to modify the paths inside the vrmat.

BUT

Seems the vrmat likes to see linux paths // instead of windows paths \\ (or at least the ones I'm dealing with)
    I need to map to a mapped drive, so then if I edit the vrmat to show to P:\ for example, will DR pick up the textures and will the vrmat still work?
    Last edited by Morne; 12-04-2016, 12:55 PM.
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Originally posted by Morne View Post
    I need to map to a mapped drive, so then if I edit the vrmat to show to P:\ for example, will DR pick up the textures and will the vrmat still work?
    I think so; at least I don't see a reason why it shouldn't.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Any way of getting it to show in asset tracker in the future? (and thus changing it from asset tracker)
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

Originally posted by Morne View Post
        Any way of getting it to show in asset tracker in the future? (and thus changing it from asset tracker)
        We need to do some changes in the code to allow this.

Best regards,
        Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
          We need to do some changes in the code to allow this.

Best regards,
          Vlado

I would greatly appreciate it
          Kind Regards,
          Morne

Comment

I will make a note about it, but I'm not sure when it can be implemented. If we implemented support for relative texture paths in .vrmat files, would that work better?

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
              I will make a note about it, but I'm not sure when it can be implemented. If we implemented support for relative texture paths in .vrmat files, would that work better?

Best regards,
              Vlado

As long as DR can pick it up easily.

I also now noticed something weird, some of the vrmats textures "automatically" picked up the "correct" path, while others show the old UNC path. Very weird.
              Kind Regards,
              Morne

Comment

Please! We SERIOUSLY need this

These VRmats and the export import from other app, truncating of file names etc, Seriously... It would just be so much better in max if we can just please convert the vrmat to a normal VRayMtl
                Kind Regards,
                Morne

Comment

Which other application is that?

It's not always possible to convert .vrmat files to Max materials - there are some texture nodes that are not present in Max. There might be other ways for us to do that in the future though.

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

These came from Rhino
                    Kind Regards,
                    Morne

Comment

I'm on another one similar to this.

It's almost completely useless to have vrmats in Max as you can't mass edit them in any way. I'm now manaully editing each vrmat (xml) to change paths. Not fun when there's 246 of them.
                      Also, you have to BROWSE for each vrmat, you can't just drag and drop it into a VRayVRmatMtl, which makes it even longer to work with these. So far I also haven't found a way to display the diffuse in the viewport, so difficult to tell which objects have the correct material or not.
                      Extremely frustrating

I still think something that can convert the vrmats from Rhino to Max VRayMtls would be best. Even if it is just best effort close as possible with the 1:1 features, and ignore the rest.
                      It's xml files, can't be that hard to write a script to convert to VRayMtl.

@Lele, Up for for some coding?
                      Last edited by Morne; 19-07-2016, 04:00 AM.
                      Kind Regards,
                      Morne

Comment

Working...
                      X