Please fix jaggies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please fix jaggies

So, I've been all over the radar with rendering software for the last 5 years, but have been consistently coming back to vray lately for most of my animation work and large mass rendering projects for it's flexibility.

The major hang up for me now is those nasty jaggies where highlights are overblown. I've tried all sorts of VFB blooms and post glows, but it just never looks right. This is where I have to fall back on other rendering engines for still work.

If you guys/gals can fix this issue I'm all in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	885528

Thanks!

If you could post a scene with your settings or show a screen shot of your settings it would help identify the issue.
    Chris Jackson
    Shiftmedia
    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Here you are. I don't really mess with settings much anymore. It's BF + LC, default settings. Same jaggies in RT, but actually worse.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	863725

Comment

To fix that make sure boxes "Sub-Pixel Mapping" and "Clamp Output" (under Color Mapping) are both checked.
        Jez

------------------------------------
        3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
        Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
        ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

Comment

I work with .exr images, so can't clamp. Sub-pixel mapping does nothing.

Comment

You can clamp at 2-3, might solve the issue and u still have some dynamic range in exr

Comment

I'll try, but again something that should just work in my opinion and I shouldn't have to mess with settings.

Comment

To be honest i don't think any renderer "just works" ( i work with several too ), and that's why it's important to have some settings to play around to solve issues like this.

Comment

For me, this has always been a problem when compared to Maxwell and Octane. For some reason, I just don't have this issue with them.

Comment

Hehe, personally i had alot of problems with Octane, fireflies and such in animation, for that i had to clamp GI

Comment

I'm just referring to stills. I don't use Octane for animations.

It seems to be most apparent with a simple metal shader on a smooth surface and only when in focus. If that area is out of focus it looks great.
                      Last edited by etown; 30-09-2016, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Max Ray Intensity parameter should be able to deal with such issues.
                        Lens effects are also a very good choose to smooth out such artifacts.
                        Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
                        Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Originally posted by svetlozar.draganov View Post
                          Max Ray Intensity parameter should be able to deal with such issues.
                          Talking about Max Ray Intensity, I still don't understand the value of this setting ... what does it correspond to ? how should I know if the default value of 20 is enough or too high ? how should we know how to tweak this value ? increasing it ? decreasing it ?
                          Thanks.
                          Nicolas Caplat
                          www.intangibles.fr

Comment

The Max Ray Intensity will cut the actual value of the secondary rays to the one you have set in order to suppress very bright rays which might cause such issues, just like the Clamp output and Sub-pixel mapping options. The drawback of this will be that the overall brightness of the scene might be decreased.
                            Low Max Ray Intensity values will ease the antialiasing calculation respectively better render times but it might decrease the overall brightness. The best way to know what value to use will be to test it. Check which value manages to decrease the overbright pixels and still keeps a good overall brightness.
                            Zdravko Keremidchiev | chaos.com
                            Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Originally posted by Zdravko.Keremidchiev View Post
                              The Max Ray Intensity will cut the actual value of the secondary rays to the one you have set in order to suppress very bright rays which might cause such issues, just like the Clamp output and Sub-pixel mapping options. The drawback of this will be that the overall brightness of the scene might be decreased.
                              Low Max Ray Intensity values will ease the antialiasing calculation respectively better render times but it might decrease the overall brightness. The best way to know what value to use will be to test it. Check which value manages to decrease the overbright pixels and still keeps a good overall brightness.
                              ok, understood - thanks for your answer. However, that doesn't about the unit of this setting ... is that a percentage ? sorry to insist, but I don't like not understanding something
                              Nicolas Caplat
                              www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Working...
                              X