VrayFurStyler doesn't work with Subdivide modifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VrayFurStyler doesn't work with Subdivide modifier

It seems that VrayFurStyler doesn't work with Subdivide modifier. I'm using the Subdivide modifier to create an evenly subdivided mesh so that hairs are evenly distributed across the mesh. Otherwise I get areas where the object has a lot of hairs and other areas where the polygons are bigger I get less hairs. I know that I can collapse the mesh and the problem will go away but then I won't be able to keep the Subdivide modifier in case I want to do any changes to the base mesh.
    Aleksandar Mitov
    www.renarvisuals.com
    office@renarvisuals.com

3ds Max 2023.2.2 + Vray 6 Update 2.1
    AMD Ryzen 9 9950X 16-core
    64GB DDR5
    GeForce RTX 3090 24GB + GPU Driver 551.86

What happens if you put something like a turn to mesh / turn to poly / mesh select / edit poly modifier on the top of the stack? Sometimes this can force 3dsmax to output the mesh data in a different manner which fur styler might prefer?

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried them but none of them seem to work. However, I did find a workaround which allows you to keep the Subdivide modifier! If you add the VrayFurStyler modifier first and Subdivide second, VrayFurStyler works fine! If you do it the other way around, as most people would, then it won't.

By the way, here's the result

Last edited by Alex_M; 03-01-2017, 02:46 PM.
      Aleksandar Mitov
      www.renarvisuals.com
      office@renarvisuals.com

64GB DDR5

Comment

That looks fucking awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by joconnell View Post
          That looks fucking awesome!
          Yes, very nice indeed !! that would deserve a quick tutorial explaining how you get such a great result
          Nicolas Caplat
          www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Thanks for the comments. The rug in the render below was done with the VrayFurStyler plugin, VrayHairMtl, and a noise map in the "Bend map" slot of VrayFur. I found VrayFurStyler when I started looking for a replacement to Max'es built-in hair and fur module. It was so sloooow to start rendering a simple rug that I gave up on using it and thought I need to look for a replacement. Not to mention that it won't work in Mr Prim mode with VrayHairMtl (they rendered overexposed). A total showstopper.

My first thought was VrayFur as it is super fast to render and I sure as hell won't spend another $400-800 just for a decent hair plugin on top of the $5000 software that is 3ds max. The problem was that you can't manually style/comb the hairs... or can you? I did a search on the internet and found the little VrayFurStyler plugin. Here's a quick tutorial on how to use it. It's pretty straight forward, actually:

Last edited by Alex_M; 04-01-2017, 08:51 AM.
            Aleksandar Mitov
            www.renarvisuals.com
            office@renarvisuals.com

64GB DDR5

Comment

Will this plugin also be available for Max2017 soon?

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_M View Post
                Thanks for the comments. The rug in the render below was done with the VrayFurStyler plugin, VrayHairMtl, and a noise map in the "Bend map" slot of VrayFur. I found VrayFurStyler when I started looking for a replacement to Max'es built-in hair and fur module. It was so sloooow to start rendering a simple rug that I gave up on using it and thought I need to look for a replacement. Not to mention that it won't work in Mr Prim mode with VrayHairMtl (they rendered overexposed). A total showstopper.

My first thought was VrayFur as it is super fast to render and I sure as hell won't spend another $400-800 just for a decent hair plugin on top of the $5000 software that is 3ds max. The problem was that you can't manually style/comb the hairs... or can you? I did a search on the internet and found the little VrayFurStyler plugin. Here's a quick tutorial on how to use it. It's pretty straight forward, actually:

Thank you, Alex
                Nicolas Caplat
                www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Originally posted by trick View Post
                  Will this plugin also be available for Max2017 soon?
                  I've updated the tools web page with a 2017 version:
                  http://help.chaosgroup.com/vray/misc/

Let me know if you have any issues with it.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                    I've updated the tools web page with a 2017 version...
                    You're

Comment

Working...
                    X