Volumegrid and Stoke bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volumegrid and Stoke bug

I think this bug must on your end because the Field_Texmap works perfectly in everything else I've tried it in, but after reporting it to Bobo I thought I'd upload it here too since you guys collaborate sometimes.

The max file is very simple. A single VDB is written out with a density of 1. Volumegrid reads this VDB fine, and when you render you get a box. If you modulate the smoke with a 3D noise map, it works as expected - black areas of the 3D noise have no density while white have complete density. When I use a Field_Texmap to modulate the density instead, it renders nothing. Not sure if it's a coordinates thing but never noticed it in any other plugin or Max standard feature before.

The max file is written out in 2016 and if you look at the two volume grids it should be pretty straight forward what's happening. I've posted this on Thinkbox's forum too.

Tobbe

PS. Field_Texmap works as expected when plugged into Vray Environment Fog if that helps.
    Attached Files

Hi,

We got the same result here so we decided to open new issue in our system about this limitation of our software. When we have any news or need any information from you, will reply to this thread.
    Thank you.
    Tashko Zashev | chaos.com
    Chaos Support Representative | contact us

Comment

Thank you, I appreciate it.

Comment

Hey, found the issue - thanks very much for reporting it! The fix will be in Saturday's Phoenix and V-Ray nightlies.

Cheers!
        Svetlin Nikolov, Ex Lead Phoenix developer

Comment

Originally posted by a0121536 View Post
          Hey, found the issue - thanks very much for reporting it! The fix will be in Saturday's Phoenix and V-Ray nightlies.

Cheers!
          Very glad to hear that!

Comment

Originally posted by Svetlin.Nikolov View Post

Cheers!
            Is this fix in the current release of 3.5.04 or is it in a nightly build only?

Comment

Originally posted by tobbeo View Post
              Is this fix in the current release of 3.5.04 or is it in a nightly build only?
              Yes, it is in the 3.50.04 V-Ray build.

Comment

Originally posted by tashko.zashev View Post
                Yes, it is in the 3.50.04 V-Ray build.
                Odd, tried it just now and it didn't work (3.50.04, latest StokeMX available and latest PhoenixFD). Working on a video to demo what this combo can do that I think is really awesome. Works great with other 3D maps, but anyway I'll try again tomorrow and see if I missed something.

Comment

hmm, that's correct. 3.50.04 doesn't work for me too, only the nightly builds have this patch unfortunately. I'm sorry for the confusion.
                  Do you have access to the Stable nightly builds for V-Ray/max? I will make a note to move this fix to the Stable brunch.
                  Last edited by tashko.zashev; 12-05-2017, 12:14 AM.

Comment

I requested nightlies but haven't received access yet.

Comment

Do you have a ticket number ?

Comment

Originally posted by tashko.zashev View Post
                        Do you have a ticket number ?
                        Sorry just moved a great distance and haven't had my computer up and running. I submitted a request using the web form yesterday when logged in but didn't get a ticket number back so I just e-mailed support, and the ticket number is: 604069. Thanks!

Comment

I just got access to Vray nightlies. I installed the latest one from 06.06 and it's still not working in Activeshade mode. If I use a noise map, Activeshade works fine. See attached file, just replace the Noise texmap that's plugged into VrayEnvironmentFog Density with the Field Texmap that's in the compact material editor. Then switch to production render mode and render with Vray and you'll see a sphere.

I'm using StokeMX 2.3.4 Beta 5 (also tried StokeMX 2.2), 3ds max 2017 and latest nightly Stable from 06.06. I'm curious how you got it to work...It'd be a fast and powerful way of working if it worked.

Tobbe

Comment

We never mentioned active shade so far - I just got your scene and rendered it in production. You should watch out not to use RT/GPU with volumetrics - this is still not implemented and will render nothing. Will get the stable you mentioned and try it here with your scene again, and will get back to you.

Comment

Nope, Active Shade is borked. Using vray_adv_35004_max2017_x64_27446 here. It does not render the Stoke map at all and randomly renders or does not render the noise map, and the mapping of the noise map is different every time. Will log it in the bugtracker.

However, did you manage to get a proper production render?

Comment

Working...
                              X