Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dome Camera Output - how to map in new scene?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dome Camera Output - how to map in new scene?

Hi, I've been trying to capture my own synthetic HDRI from inside 3dsmax.

I rendered out a bunch of frames using the VrayDomeCamera pointing straight up in my scene from 0,0,0. Captured the whole 180 degree FOV, and rendered into HDR format.

My problem is, how do I re-map this onto a dome light in a new scene? Non of the mapping formats want to match up with the Dome camera's output.

For example, here is one frame of the output of my VrayDomeCamera (shrunk down to reasonable size for reference only):

Click image for larger version

Name:	scale-clouds-hdri-daynight-rot0500.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	887344

Is it worth it to finish off this render (1440 frames) or should I change the camera to something else in order to capture the scene seamlessly?

Thanks,
    Chris

Use a normal physical camera, then in render settings, v-ray tab > camera > type: spherical > override FOV > 360
    Then set the size of the render 2:1 aspect ratio. That is, width twice as much as height. For example 16000 X 8000 will give you a nice res for the average HDRI

EDIT: Also, instead of pointing camera up, point it straight forward
    Last edited by Morne; 28-03-2017, 05:15 PM.
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

Thanks Morne that's pretty much what I ended up doing, except still using the dome camera rotated 90 degrees to be parallel with the ground plane.

Comment

Working...
      X