Light cache -- when set to Fly through it causes dark areas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light cache -- when set to Fly through it causes dark areas

I don't use Light Cache very often. I'm trying to precalculate one for a fly-through animation.

I set it up to render one frame and set the mode to Flythrough. When I use the cache, I am getting these dark spots showing up on a low wall. They are rectangular or trapezoidal darker shapes -- not black just darker than the surrounding area. If I switch to Single frame mode, the dark areas go away.

They don't seem to be based on any geometry -- there are no corresponding edges that follow these dark areas. I have tried dufferent Retrace settings and Subdivisions settings but it doesn't change them at all.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

It's a known issue and we don't have a fix yet.
    If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
    Chaos

Comment

Is it only a problem when Adaptive Lights are used?

Comment

In this particular setup - yes.
        If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
        Chaos

Comment

It makes little sense to use the fly-through mode in recent builds. The "retrace" and "leak prevention" options mostly deal with any flickering and the render time saved by the adaptive lights is often more than enough to compensate the calculation of the light cache for each frame. So the only parameter you have to deal with is the light cache subdivs, really.

With that said, there are some changes in 3.6 that make rendering with the fly-through mode and adaptive lights enabled more consistent.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          Last edited by vlado; 05-06-2017, 09:13 AM.
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
          X