Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Light Objects (invisible) come out black in AO ExtraTex Pass ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light Objects (invisible) come out black in AO ExtraTex Pass ?

I create an Ambient Occlusion pass using the VRayExtraTex render pass with a VRayDirt texture.

But, light objects come out black, even though they are set to invisible/

Obviously this is not what I want (I don't want those light objects present in the AO pass at all). Nor am I really sure they should ever be in there.

How can I overcome this ?

Or..... can we have this 'fixed' (seems broken to me ) ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lights-block-AO-ExtraTex.JPG
Views:	2460
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	955319

Jez

------------------------------------
    3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3
    Windows 11 Pro 22H2 | NVidia Drivers 535.98 (Game Drivers)

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE
    ---- Updated 06/09/23 -------

What are these light objects - VRayLights (what kind?) or geometry with VRayLightMtl ?
    If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
    Chaos

Comment

VRayLights.

Plane VRaylights, set to Cast Shadows, Invisible, Affect Diffuse, Specular and Reflections.
      Jez

3DS Max 2023.3.4 | V-Ray 6.10.08 | Phoenix FD 4.40.00 | PD Player 64 1.0.7.32 | Forest Pack Pro 8.2.2 | RailClone 6.1.3

Asus X299 Sage (Bios 4001), i9-7980xe, 128Gb, 1TB m.2 OS, 2 x NVidia RTX 3090 FE

Comment

Are you sure that the lights appear black or they are very close to the geometry and the effect of the VRayDirt is very strong there?

Peter Matanov
        Chaos

Comment

The VRayLight is 2699mm off floor - ceiling is 2700mm. The VRayLight appears in the AO solution.

This, in my opinion, should not happen. (even though the light is set to invisible this has no effect and still appears in the AO render pass).

If I reduce the height of the light by 25mm, i.e. to 2674mm from floor, you can see the region render shows the AO is less black, so it is definitely the VRayLight which is contributing to the AO.

I think this must not happen. There mustn't be any AO for a VRayLight source.

Or, perhaps there should be the ability to exclude LIGHTS from the AO (VRayDirt) - I looked at the exclude options for both VRayDirt and VRayExtraTex but no lights can be chosen and set to Exclude.

Please can we have this as a feature, as setting lighting in an interiors scene like this is pretty standard way of lighting.

Many thanks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Lights-block-AO-ExtraTex2.JPG Views:	1 Size:	58.5 KB ID:	955353

Last edited by JezUK; 08-06-2017, 06:30 AM.
          Jez

Comment

We will see what can be done about excluding lights from that list (there was some limitations as far as I remember).

Peter Matanov
            Chaos

Comment

Thanks Peter.

By definition, a light isn't occluded, so I can't see why it should be black anyway ?
              Jez

Comment

Hi Peter,
                Probably it's related to the same issue I posted several moths ago

https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...-by-vray-light

Dmitry

Comment

Originally posted by dsolod View Post
                  Hi Peter,
                  Probably it's related to the same issue I posted several moths ago

https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...-by-vray-light

Dmitry
                  Yes, Dimitry, this looks like the same issue.

Did Dave's Maxscript work for you ? i.e. $.material.texmap_diffuse.resultAffectExcludeList = #($VRayLightLEDSTRP002)

I do not know anything about maxscript - but I tried the syntax he gave there (exactly as above) and I get an error, so I am doing something wrong.

Any help please ?

Jez

Comment

Hello,

Did you try to check the "Work with Transparency" option in VRay Dirt ? it should fix the problem.
                    Nicolas Caplat
                    www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Originally posted by NicoC View Post
                      Hello,

Did you try to check the "Work with Transparency" option in VRay Dirt ? it should fix the problem.
                      Thanks Nicolas, that's PERFECT !

I then went and looked at the help documentation and there is a handy note mentioning this feature regarding VRayDirt;

"Enabling work with transparency will also respect the Invisible parameter of V-Ray lights, causing them to be excluded from the rendering calculations."

Many, many thanks.
                      Jez

Comment

Glad to read it solved your problem, Jez.
                        Indeed, this note was added to the manual further to my request, because I had the same problem and didn't find it clear at all that this option handled lights as well ...
                        Enjoy !
                        Nicolas Caplat
                        www.intangibles.fr

Comment

Thank you Nicolas!

Comment

Working...
                          X