No announcement yet.

flythrough/use camera path lightcache calc not working vray adv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi! I have same problem. I am not able to make fly through animations at all.
    Every previous scene i open and set light cache to fly through mode i end with LC
    computing on the last frame... BF/BF is only way for me now which is killing for interiors...
    Last edited by joecharon; 15-02-2018, 10:43 AM.
    Jozef
    www.cad-vizualizacie.sk

Comment

You can often get away with BF / LC in single frame mode if you do a very high quality LC.
      WerT
      www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

OK. Will try that. Thank you!
        Jozef
        www.cad-vizualizacie.sk

Comment

I've been puzzling over this issue for many hours now and just as I found this post I may have found a solution.

using VRay 3.6.4 with Max 2018

I've got a camera that is keyframed from 0 to 950. There are moving cars and people so I'm using the workflow recommended by Chaos Group, which I've done in the past, but it's been a while.
          https://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/...ing+Objects+II

Prepass LC + IRR look like photos 1+2, nearly all samples from the final frame. Final renders have a bad light solution that varies from frame to frame.

If I change the timeframe to 100-950, the prepass works as expected, photos 3+4, and final render looks correct.

I tried tricking it by adding a camera keyframe at -100 (and physically moved the camera so it comes into frame zero already moving) and rendering 0-950 and get the correct results.

I also tested with timeframe 1-950, and I could see it start to pick up more samples but it's still a bad solution. 50-950 looked good but I'm going with a buffer 100 to be safe

Comment

This issue has been fixed for the next version of V-Ray for 3dsMax.
            Svetlozar Draganov | Senior Manager 3D Support | contact us
            Chaos & Enscape & Cylindo are now one!

Comment

Can you confirm if the fix will be released as vray 3 or vray next?
              Set V-Ray class properties en masse with the VMC script
              Follow me for script updates: @ollyspolys

Comment

I just had another problem with a flythrough animation and Light Cache: I followed the tutorial from your documentation, but when rendering the final animation via Backburner (with Irradiance Map and LightCache read from file), the render-machines got stuck during "Preparing direct light manager" or "Preparing global light manager" for several hours. The file rendered fine on a single machine.

I then added one machine after the other to Backburner, so they would not try to read the GI-files all at the same time. That worked ok for a few frames, until the machines got stuck again.

Now I'm rendering with Irradiance Map from file and LightCache in single-frame mode, which works and is ok, speedwise. I hope the renderings will be ok as well.

I've never had such a behaviour before, but it seems that when more than one machine reads the LightCache file from the server, they kind of block each other and the machines get stuck. Did someone ever come across that behaviour? We use V-Ray 3.60.04.

Comment

Originally posted by olly View Post
                  Can you confirm if the fix will be released as vray 3 or vray next?
                  It's fixed only in the Next version. As for now it won't be ported back to 3.x.

Comment

Originally posted by bhm View Post
                    I just had another problem with a flythrough animation and Light Cache: I followed the tutorial from your documentation, but when rendering the final animation via Backburner (with Irradiance Map and LightCache read from file), the render-machines got stuck during "Preparing direct light manager" or "Preparing global light manager" for several hours. The file rendered fine on a single machine.

I then added one machine after the other to Backburner, so they would not try to read the GI-files all at the same time. That worked ok for a few frames, until the machines got stuck again.

Now I'm rendering with Irradiance Map from file and LightCache in single-frame mode, which works and is ok, speedwise. I hope the renderings will be ok as well.

I've never had such a behaviour before, but it seems that when more than one machine reads the LightCache file from the server, they kind of block each other and the machines get stuck. Did someone ever come across that behaviour? We use V-Ray 3.60.04.
                    This is a bit strange and it might be also caused by limitation of the OS, not sure how many servers can access the same file at the same time.
                    If previous versions of V-Ray worked fine however it might be something related to 3.60.04. Did you try to render the animation with less machines?
                    Also, does it happen on multiple scene or on a particular scene only? Can you try the same setup with a very basic scene with same setup?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Comment

Originally posted by svetlozar.draganov View Post

This is a bit strange and it might be also caused by limitation of the OS, not sure how many servers can access the same file at the same time.
                      If previous versions of V-Ray worked fine however it might be something related to 3.60.04. Did you try to render the animation with less machines?
                      Also, does it happen on multiple scene or on a particular scene only? Can you try the same setup with a very basic scene with same setup?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
                      Thanks for your reply. I did not have the time to investigate deeper, but this was the first time I came across this behavior. On the other hand, we do not render flythroughs often. I do not think the problem is our fileserver, we render all the time with that amount of machines, never had a problem with max-files, textures, other caches, only with the saved LightCache. Also, the same file rendered fine with saved Irradiance Map, which should have about the same amount of concurrent file-access, they are roughly the same size. But I will come back to you in a couple of weeks, when I had the time to make more tests. Right now it's crunchtime for me.

Comment

Working...
                      X