Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• does "use camera path" work with path constraint controller

hi,
    i get "bad" irradiance map solution when collecting lightsolution with the "use camera path" feature.
    does it collect even when camera is animated with path constraint controller over a spline? pretty sure that it worked once with spline animation, or not?
    don?t want to collect like in the old days over n-th frame.

thanks
    thomes

vray 3-60-01

p.s.
    ok, it got a little better when i subdivided the spline over "motion path" "spline conversion" with more subdivisions of the spline... and clearly it got better lowering the irradiance map sample size.but i thought it would take the same size of the samples all over the geometry seen around the path.but i had nearly only very big samples on the rest of the path. only at the geometry seen at the first frame i had smaller ones.
    Last edited by thomes; 14-08-2017, 05:22 AM.

After few tests, it turns out that "use camera path" does not work when your camera is constraint to a path. I will note that into our system, but as for a work around you could try baking the animation of your camera. You could select your camera and use the "Collapse" option located in the Motion section.

Click image for larger version  Name:	3dsmax_2017-08-14_15-15-47.jpg Views:	2 Size:	25.9 KB ID:	963949

Please try to use as less "Samples" as possible, because from the performed test on our side the Irradiance map was not correct when there were keyframes for every single frame.
    Nikolay Kusht | chaos.com
    Team Lead, 3D Support | contact us

Comment

your workaround does not work for me in max2018 and vray 3-60-01. same problem even with collapsed camera ! i collapsed to every 10 frames, that means 45 keys for a 450 frame animation.dont understand why...only thing is that you have a general problem with "use camera path" !!
      i saved in max2016 and rendered the same. see the irradiancemap rendering results here.max2106 with vray 3-40-02 does a good job.

btw: why cant i find this topic in the "problems" forum? for me its not visible, only over link...

and further max2016 with vray 3-40-02 does a perfect irradiance map rendering with path constraint! so that means version 3-60-01 has a problem with "use camera path"
      Last edited by thomes; 15-08-2017, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Thank you for your feedback.

We can confirm that this issue does not occur on 3dsMax 2016 with V-Ray 3.40.02. I have added these notes to our system and we will update the this thread as soon as we have any progress.

As for your forum account, you have accsess to the "Problem" section and you should be able to see on the following link:
        https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...3ds-max-forums

Could send us a screenshot of what exactly gdo you see. Also could you try login to our forum with different browser and see if there is any difference.

Comment

any news if and when this gets fixed for max2018. any update around in the near future? we would need it.
          thanks

Comment

Unfortunately the issue is still unresolved. I would request higher priority and we will update this post when we have any news.

Comment

this is still unresolved in 3.60.04. after nearly half a year...

Comment

In the past we`ve found linking a camera to a spline path constraint can produce jerky/jumpy animation, not always but enough. We link a camera to 2 dummies and animate them instead, top dummy for movement, 2nd for rotations, camera for zooming. I guess everyone has their own way though.
                edit: As an alternative since `walkthroughs` seem a bit old school, set up multiple simple drifty camera shots. Point A to point B only, no dummy needed. Render those and composite in post. It tends to look more film-y than POV walkthroughs.
                Last edited by anthonyh; 23-02-2018, 05:07 AM.

Comment

if you need an orbiting camera that goes around a floor this does not fit.
                  old school collecting needs forever, cause i would need to collect about every 10 th

maybe your path did not have enough interpolation steps, or they were not really smoothed

Comment

Working...
                  X