V-Ray 3.6 VFB hangs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by postfaust View Post
    I have 16threads/8cores. Is it gonna be 15 or 7 for the total number?
    Try 15 and see if it helps.

Best regards,
    Vlado

I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

• Originally posted by vlado View Post
      Try 15 and see if it helps.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      Thanks, will try and report here...

BTW, Vlado your PM is full...
      Wanted to give u a ping about this other problem here:
      https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...th-motion-blur

Greg

Comment

• I dont know how to un-do the QT_OPENGL Angle

I deleted the variable but its still stuck to angle even after re-boot.

How to I change it back to normal?

Comment

• Setting QT_OPENGL=desktop -> same as QT_ANGLE_PLATFORM=warp.
          • Setting QT_OPENGL=angle -> same error dialog, as expected.
          • Setting QT_OPENGL=software + opengl32sw.dll (mesa for windows) -> unpredictable: May run, may crash, may show the error dialog.
          https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...e-acceleration

"desktop" seems the default one.
          Last edited by ^Lele^; 30-12-2017, 05:54 AM.
          Lele
          Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
          ----------------------
          emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
          The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

• Setting it to software made my computer unstable and I got major lag in 3ds max.

Ill try setting it to desktop - Its better but still lagging a lot when I startup 3ds max. Its like I cannot even type here in this text field because its lagging so hard on startup.

Also note that if you play with the QT settings, it can wipe your custom UI.

Please dont use the QT settings. I dont know how to get it back to default and it causes many other problems. I dont if setting it to desktop helps. I wish I didnt play with that setting on my primary workstation.
            Last edited by stevejjd; 02-01-2018, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• I have set the environmental variable for threads to -4 and it still hangs even when i have the low priority set in vray rendering. Is there something being done about the multithreading in vray NEXT si this doesnt happen please?
              Martin
              http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

• Read the thread until here, and it seems that definitive solution is still eluding us?

one thing caught my attention though, and it was Vlado's mentioning the windows crawl to index the files.

well, i have 2 PCs - one pc with the problem (a new one, and it seems this issue affects mostly new PCs, and also mostly windows 10), and another without.

the PC without the problem is older, and i did turn OFF (guess on the registry or somewhere else) indexing. Maybe this problem is caused by windows. I'll sure try turning OFF file indexing in the new pc and test this.

maybe worth keeping an eye on this, Mr V?

Comment

• Thanks for the info!

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

• Is there any update to this problem? I've been running into it lately. Seems like if I don't shift focus away from Max, it stays fine. If I browse the internet with firefox for a while, and then try to focus Max and the VFB again, all the max windows start flashing and are unresponsive for 5-10 minutes.

Currently running:
                    3DS Max 2018, V-Ray 3.60.03

Computer specs:
                    CPU: Core i7 32770K
                    RAM: 16GB DDR @ 800MHz
                    GPU: 4GB nVidia GTX 1070 (EVGA)
                    GPU Driver Version: 22.21.13.8541

Would appreciate the help.

Comment

• You could try setting the VRAY_NUM_THREADS environment variable to one less than the number of cores in the system and see if it helps.

Best regards,
                      Vlado

Comment

• I'm not sure if the problem I experienced was the same as some of the problems I've read about in this thread, but I was also having an issue with the VFB locking up on interactive render. I found the solution to my particular problem: hiding the 'State Sets' toolbar. The State Sets rollout was fine to have open, but every time the toolbar was visible, the VFB would lock up. Hope this helps!

Comment

• Originally posted by andylewisart View Post
                          I'm not sure if the problem I experienced was the same as some of the problems I've read about in this thread, but I was also having an issue with the VFB locking up on interactive render. I found the solution to my particular problem: hiding the 'State Sets' toolbar. The State Sets rollout was fine to have open, but every time the toolbar was visible, the VFB would lock up. Hope this helps!
                          F$$K you save my a$$!!! its working now....i can reproduce it.....start ipr with the state sets visible = it hangs at lightcache, simply hiding it and the ipr keeps working

EDIT: haha, hunting down all my recent problems seems to be related to the state sets! also my denoiser (pass3) problem! i mentioned here the things: https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...ating-vfb-hang
                          Last edited by hubmer3; 11-09-2018, 03:06 AM.
                          Greets Phil
                          -----------------------
                          WS
                          DUAL E5-2683 V3 28c/56t @2,6Ghz
                          64GB Ram
                          ASUS ROG STRIX OC 1080ti
                          PALIT SUPER JETSTREAM 780ti

Node
                          I7 2600K @4,40GHZ,
                          32GB RAM

Comment

• I can confirm that the State Sets toolbar stops the VFB from updating the image after the LC has completed, great find!
                            However, it's not the same issue as we discussed previously, which had max hang and the whole OS become very sluggish, unfortunately...
                            Lele
                            Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                            ----------------------
                            emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

• Any news on the freezing VFB (and 3ds max along with it)? Lately it's just been intolerable on my machine with several freezes during the course of a day where the frame buffers and any open windows will start to flash between them. Sometimes it cycles through in a few minutes and returns to max, other times it just goes on forever. I've tried the CFG setting, OPEN_GL setting, low thread priority and nothing seems to work.
                              Last edited by dlparisi; 29-01-2019, 11:57 AM.
                              www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by dlparisi View Post
                                Any news on the freezing VFB (and 3ds max along with it)? Lately it's just been intolerable on my machine with several freezes during the course of a day where the frame buffers and any open windows will start to flash between them. Sometimes it cycles through in a few minutes and returns to max, other times it just goes on forever. I've tried the CFG setting, OPEN_GL setting, low thread priority and nothing seems to work.
                                https://forums.chaosgroup.com/forum/...722#post978722
                                If it was that easy, it would have already been done

Peter Matanov
                                Chaos

Comment

Working...
                                X