Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't achieve double sided and translucent material at the same time

Hi,

I am currently facing a problems with something I'd never expect to be a challenge in V-Ray.

I have a tent model, which has just thin polygon walls without any thickness. There will be a snow texture on the texture outside of the tent, and at the same time tent will have to be translucent. Here is where the problem comes:

V-Ray combines material which let's you assign different material based on normal orientation with material which does translucency. If I want to have tent which has a snow texture on the outside, but no snow from the inside, I can do so only when the translucency is set to complete black. At the same time, if I want to have translucent tent (they usually are), then I can not have different material from the front side and back side because translucency shows the outside color (the one with the snow texture) also inside.

Corona simply has a map which let's you plug in two textures for the front face and back face. V-Ray has no such thing, and I am out of ideas how to handle this case.

Would Vray2SidedMtl be of any help?
    https://www.behance.net/Oliver_Kossatz

Comment

Originally posted by kosso_olli View Post
      Would Vray2SidedMtl be of any help?
      I am using that material. That is the problem. V-Ray combines concept of a possibility of having different material for front and back face with possibility of having translucency effect. You can either have a material where front and back face has different material, or you can have material that is translucent. But you can't have material where front and back color is unique and at the same time translucency not modifying it.

Comment

for proper translucency you need volume. for faking it with single poligon geo I guess use vray2sided (black translucency) and inside vraymtls with a bit of refraction (zero or near zero gloss, ior 1). never tried that in 2sided though.
        Marcin Piotrowski
        youtube

Comment

Working...
        X